Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Blender (modeling, animation, rendering)  (Read 85597 times)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Blender (modeling, animation, rendering)
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2003, 09:50:32 PM »

Moderator note: Tol is the person responsible graphics for the Ron Loo game mentioned above. He's a skilled Blender user so I invited him here as "guest star" :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2003, 10:43:37 PM »

Wow, we have a REAL star around us  :)

I looked at the screenshots on your site, and I think now it's time for me to go crying again  :)

Do you use the Blender-Renderer or do you export to Povray or so?

I saw some projects begun with the old Gameengine of Blender, but in my opinion Adventures are still better in 2d instead  of realtime-3d.

3d is cool for Action and Racing Games, but in Adventures I miss too much atmosphere.

Tol

• Guest star
  • Occasional poster
  • Oro?
    • View Profile
    • www.blender3d.cz
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2003, 11:04:40 PM »

Wow, we have a REAL star around us  :)

I looked at the screenshots on your site, and I think now it's time for me to go crying again  :)

Do you use the Blender-Renderer or do you export to Povray or so?

I saw some projects begun with the old Gameengine of Blender, but in my opinion Adventures are still better in 2d instead  of realtime-3d.

3d is cool for Action and Racing Games, but in Adventures I miss too much atmosphere.

Thank you:)

No, I use no external renderers, it is all pure Blender. For graphic and animation I use Blender, Photoshop for textures creating and Poser for raw humans, which are clothed in Blender:)
Playing: something good
Developing: Mafia II
Finished:Tale of a Hero

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2003, 08:24:44 AM »

I have a older version of poser (3.0?) wich was on the CD of a computer magazine ... I like the models very much, especially those you can buy from DAZ3d, but I hate the GUI of Poser ... it's even more worse than the GUI of Blender :-)

Perhaps I should give it a second try.

Last week I discovered the Makehuman-Script for Blender, it's pretty cool how easy you can create and alter good looking human models with it (and even demons  :) ), but I'm afraid now I have to learn how to use armatures to do the character animations ... I think I know what I will spent my christmas holidays with :)

Did you model the clothes by hand? I found the MakeClothes-script on a Blender-Site, but I didn't really understan how it worked, and so my results where everything else than beautiful :)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2003, 09:46:42 AM »

Welcome Tol, glad to read you here and congrats to the probably best graphics I ever saw done with Blender.

Well, I'd like to ask you some questions, but I'm an absolute beginner and I still have to fight a lot with the GUI in general, so I don't know what to ask yet - I just hope you keep on hopping into this forum from time to time. :)

Yesterday I discovered g-max (well, Mnemonic told me...) and since I worked a little with 3ds max before, I love its GUI for modelling. I thought about importing those models into Blender later for finetuning and rendering, but couldn't get the import script working (well, seems to be a general Python problem on my computer though, even "import string" was too much for it...).

Did anybody else try this way ?
Mooh!

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2003, 09:58:02 AM »

What format are G-Max files?

For Python-Scripts in Blender it's genral necessary to set the Python-Path correct, but this is unfortunately still no guarantee that scripts work, because a lot of older scripts are incompatible to newer versions of Blender and Python.

If G-Max can save Models in DXF-Format this is the best way, because Blender can open them directly.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2003, 10:04:28 AM »

I guess it's because I installes Python again AFTER Blender, so some files are missing, I'll try this later today.

g-max writes... well, gmax-files. ;-) But there are plug-ins, so I'm sure I can export them as DXF somehow, thanks.
Mooh!

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2003, 10:56:33 AM »

I guess it's because I installes Python again AFTER Blender, so some files are missing, I'll try this later today.

No, that should be no Problem at all - the most common problem is the wrong python path set in Blender (just go to the file settings and check if the path is correct, it should be something like c:\python\lib or so)

G-Max is the freeware-tool from Discreet, for designing game-characters and so, or? I think I downloaded it a while ago, but never installed it.

Tol

• Guest star
  • Occasional poster
  • Oro?
    • View Profile
    • www.blender3d.cz
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2003, 11:36:45 AM »

Nihil:
1.yes, Poser has bad UI. No, Blender don

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2003, 12:48:05 PM »

Nihil:
1.yes, Poser has bad UI. No, Blender don

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2003, 01:47:20 PM »

Jerrot- well  I have tried all big apps like 3D MAX, Lightwave, Maya, Cinema and few more less known and I have worked with Max about year before I have discovered Blender.

:o That's interesting. Most users never tried them too much and decided for Blender because of its "price" (at least I thought so). Maybe I still have a wrong picture of it.

Yep, it is unusual, yet very powerfull, it only takes some time to learn it (much less than MAX UI though).

Ahem - I'm not sure I agree here, but maybe it's a matter of personal taste. ;)

So I don
Mooh!

Tol

• Guest star
  • Occasional poster
  • Oro?
    • View Profile
    • www.blender3d.cz
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2003, 12:05:34 AM »

Yes, but I think they could get it somewhat more user-friendly, especially for beginners. When I first opened Blender I was so overwhelmed by thousands of buttons (well, at least it looked like thousands  :) ) that my first thought was: Ok, close it and open Bryce again  ;D
I can understand beginers that they are rather confused when they run Blender first time. But honestly-how manny begginers can open MAX or Maya and start modeling, animating and do all stuff? There are even more buttons than in Blender, in much cases there are even not buttons but only confusing icons.

Yes, Bryce has very intuitive UI, friendly for begginers BUT how far can you go with this kind soft? Unlike most of 3D "proffesionals" I have nothing against Bryce or Poser, I like them, but their use is very limited and one of the main reason is that effectivity is sacrificed on the altar of kinddnes to 3D hobbyists and begginers.

It is just like this-Poser, Bryce and similar low cost apps with shiny, graphic explicit  interface are rather for hobby use (althought they can have proffesional use when you use them as one of more tools), MAX, Maya and others, including Blender are for users willing to spend more or less time of learning and developing their workflow. There is no short-cut for this-there are just too much tools compared to profiled soft like Bryce (which is natively only for landscape generating).

In short- Blender may be freeware, but it is not toy, just like "big" 3D software:)

But you are right, after a time (and enough patience) you learn it and won't miss it ... the only thing that is REALLY annoying is that I often try to use the Right-Mouse-Button in several other Applications and wonder why nothing happens  ;D

Yep, someone already did mentioned this in Blender developers forum and it is possibility that there will be option to switch to use RMB and LMB according to standards in other apps:)

Well, I have a hundred of finished models on my harddisc ... Blender is strong in modeling, but I'm strong in being lazy  ;)
Eh, yes you are right, sorry, this did not came to my mind :)

Tol

• Guest star
  • Occasional poster
  • Oro?
    • View Profile
    • www.blender3d.cz
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2003, 12:21:21 AM »

:o That's interesting. Most users never tried them too much and decided for Blender because of its "price" (at least I thought so). Maybe I still have a wrong picture of it.
With freeware applications is problem  that pros won

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2003, 12:31:21 AM »

Yes, Bryce has very intuitive UI, friendly for begginers BUT how far can you go with this kind soft? Unlike most of 3D "proffesionals" I have nothing against Bryce or Poser, I like them, but their use is very limited and one of the main reason is that effectivity is sacrificed on the altar of kinddnes to 3D hobbyists and begginers.

Yes, thats the reason why I left Bryce and switched to Blender.

I'm still a beginner, but I reached the point where Bryce was too limiting due to lack of basic features needed in 3d-Software.

You can do absolutely cool, good looking landscapes, with mountains, water, nice looking sky and so on in a few minutes ... but sadly, that is all you can do with it.

If they had added more tools for mesh editing and a better renderer, it would be a very cool aplication - but so it is mainly a fun tool (well, and good for creating background images, what I still use it for).

But Poser is another case for me  ... I gave it a second try today, but the Interface made me so angry again that I closed only half an hour later ... forever this time I think :)

Yep, someone already did mentioned this in Blender developers forum and it is possibility that there will be option to switch to use RMB and LMB according to standards in other apps:)

Too late for me, my RMB wants to select, not open context menus :)

Tol

• Guest star
  • Occasional poster
  • Oro?
    • View Profile
    • www.blender3d.cz
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2003, 12:43:33 AM »

I'm still a beginner, but I reached the point where Bryce was too limiting due to lack of basic features needed in 3d-Software.

You can do absolutely cool, good looking landscapes, with mountains, water, nice looking sky and so on in a few minutes ... but sadly, that is all you can do with it.

I can
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.