Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Parallax questions.  (Read 3303 times)

nonesuchplace

• Charlatan Extrordinaire!
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
Parallax questions.
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:27:09 AM »

I am working on a scene that I want to have parallax in.

I have the background drawn out and chopped up already.  I am utilizing the .png format for the bg elements.  When I drop the pieces into sceneman, they don't have transparency where they should.  To top it off, I can only find mention of parallax _existing_ in the documentation, and I haven't found _anything_ about implementation of it.

What am I doing wrong?
Does anyone know hoe to make parallax work?

The images I am using for this scene can be found here: http://www.box.net/shared/kg97bqcn9i.

The .svg will render in any mordern browser, and can be edited easily using Inkscape http://www.inkscape.org.

The 001bg##.png files are supposed to be layered back-to-frint, 01-06.  001bgsans.png is what they look like when layered correctly.

I hope this helps you helping me.

Thanks,

Shane

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: Parallax questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:49:38 AM »

To top it off, I can only find mention of parallax _existing_ in the documentation, and I haven't found _anything_ about implementation of it.

Full instructions on how Parallax backgrounds work is shown in the step by step scene creation tutorial in the manual.

Check out part 8 - Layers

As for the pngs not working... well the files you provided when loaded ontop of each other do not match the comp image you provided. All the individual layers have a slightly transparent bluish mountain .. you can see this in photoshop, while the error is almost impossible to see if you look at the pixel information window you can see the numbers increase as you move the mouse about, where there shoudl be no data at all..... as every layer has this error when they combine you will end up with a weird looking bluish mountain in the wrong place.... as you did not provide a demo of the error .. i assume this is the error yo are talking about.

Top one is your comp, bottom is how they comp with the pixel error that is built into those files.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:54:16 AM by Jyujinkai »
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

nonesuchplace

• Charlatan Extrordinaire!
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Parallax questions.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:51:36 PM »

I could have sworn that I dealt with the filter layer correctly... damn, did I really forget to save after I edited those out?

Thank you for the link, I needed that one!  I know how to fix the bluish mountains, and I will be doing that.  In my original image, before I decided to try parallax scrolling, I had added a layer that is a filter.  That is the transparent landscape.  That qualifies as a major oops.

Thanks for your help!

Shane

-EDIT-

I also apologize for failing at finding the other post about this question.  I failed at realizing that "Multi-level scrolling bgs" and parallax are the same thing.  Thank you for your patience!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:54:10 PM by nonesuchplace »

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.