Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Vista Game Explorer query  (Read 5562 times)

Mikael

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • MDNA Games
Vista Game Explorer query
« on: July 23, 2008, 07:53:40 PM »

What exactly do I have to do to make my game appear in the Vista Game Explorer after having embedded the .gdf file in the game executable?

Regards,

Mikael

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: Vista Game Explorer query
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »

Hi Mikael,

it's a matter of installer. Please read this to understand better.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173446(VS.85).aspx

Hope this helps.

Edit. If you're using NSIS as an installation software, they already have a neat plugin for that. See this:

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Games_plug-in
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:51:46 PM by metamorphium »
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Mikael

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • MDNA Games
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:29:42 PM »

Thanks!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »

WME already does the registration for you, if you call your game's executable with certain parameters. It's described in WME documentation.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 04:07:24 PM »

Hi Mnem

Me much confused (again)...

You said
WME already does the registration for you, if you call your game's executable with certain parameters. It's described in WME documentation
... suggesting that the NSIS addon is not needed (include a dll, check if it's there etc. etc. 'neat' it ain't  :-\  )
But the documentation says
Modify your game installer to call the Game Explorer registration when installing the game and the Game Explorer deregistration when uninstalling the game.

So if Wintermute does the game registration, why should installer be modified to do the registration? And could you please explain "call the Game Explorer registration"?

I've done all steps up to this one in the docs and the icon doesn't appear in the Explorer.

Thanks
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »

So if Wintermute does the game registration, why should installer be modified to do the registration?
Because it needs to be done during the installation. The installer has the necessary privileges. If the gamer runs the game from their desktop, the game runs in "normal" mode, and it's not allowed to write to certain registry keys. The installer can do that (or should be, anyway).

And could you please explain "call the Game Explorer registration"?
By that I mean calling the game executable from the installer, with the appropriate parameters (as described in the docs). In case of InnoSetup it's done using the [Run] and [UninstallRun] sections. Other installers will use other means of calling an external executable.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 12:03:35 PM »

Nope, no wiser. Must be missing something on level one and asking a question at level five. Ah well.

Thanks anyway Mnem. I can see why so many games don't appear in the Vista Game Explorer  :)

Cheers

\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Catacomber

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • I love mice.
    • View Profile
    • Catacomber.com
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »

I haven't gotten to this stage yet but am not going to give up on it.  I've uploaded what I believe are the instructions from the resource documentation here, here:

http://catacomber.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=26&func=view&catid=49&id=4822#4822

I can't directly plug it into this thread I don't think.

Will work on it as soon as I can--that is getting it to work and understanding how it works for our game.

But----am I correct that if you use the latest version of the free Innosinstaller---it takes care of all this for you?  Or do I still have to understand and manipulate this arcane stuff.   :'(
http://www.catacomber.com/
Code: WME Script
  1. Mnemonic is wonderful.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.