Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Blender (modeling, animation, rendering)  (Read 85688 times)

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
Re:Blender (modeling, animation, rendering)
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2003, 09:00:33 AM »

One thing I forgot: Have you tested Vue d'Esprit?

It goes in the same direction as Bryce but seems to be a lot better (from what I have heard, I didn't test it myself). You can dl a demo (with limited functionality) on their Homepage ( www.e-onsoftware.com ). And it's not very expensive (the normal version for 209$, the Pro costs 599$ ... but if your Publisher was willing to buy you 3ds Max that shouldn't be a problem :) )

In the Pro Version you can Export created Plants and stuff ... looks very promising (at least in their advertisments ;) )

Tol

• Guest star
  • Occasional poster
  • Oro?
    • View Profile
    • www.blender3d.cz
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2003, 06:02:24 PM »

One thing I forgot: Have you tested Vue d'Esprit?

It goes in the same direction as Bryce but seems to be a lot better (from what I have heard, I didn't test it myself). You can dl a demo (with limited functionality) on their Homepage ( www.e-onsoftware.com ). And it's not very expensive (the normal version for 209$, the Pro costs 599$ ... but if your Publisher was willing to buy you 3ds Max that shouldn't be a problem :) )

In the Pro Version you can Export created Plants and stuff ... looks very promising (at least in their advertisments ;) )

I am just testing Vue and I am very pleased with its terrain editor and rendering quality :) It seems very promising, but unfortunately there is no demo for Pro version :( I have to test it for exporting too, so I will have to look for cracked version to test it , althought I hate warez :-\ and even don
Playing: something good
Developing: Mafia II
Finished:Tale of a Hero

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2003, 10:33:09 PM »

I am just testing Vue and I am very pleased with its terrain editor and rendering quality :) It seems very promising, but unfortunately there is no demo for Pro version :( I have to test it for exporting too, so I will have to look for cracked version to test it , althought I hate warez :-\ and even don

Tol

• Guest star
  • Occasional poster
  • Oro?
    • View Profile
    • www.blender3d.cz
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2003, 10:54:43 PM »

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2003, 02:59:33 PM »

Blender goes raytracing. Check www.blender.org.
Mooh!

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2004, 04:03:30 PM »

Hi,

well... I'm messing around with Blender for a while now, where I learned to love the modelling possibilities. Now... I always had some questions in my mind, which might be very ridiculous for you and maybe quite general, but I'll just ask away, bcause I'm stuck with the second question currently.

1. If you are creating a simple shed (4 walls, 1 door, 1 window), what is the best way of arranging the parts of it ? I tried it by making separate objects for the walls (cutting out the window and the door), the floor, etc. ! That worked fine so far, but is it the best way ?

2. Now I want to use textures on it and the problems begin. I want to use some texture for the inside and another one for the outside (together with a bump map). How can I do that ? I guess I have to use UV coordinates, but I don't get how to use them. Or will I have to create a new object for the outer wall ? No, can't be the way, can it ?

3. Boolean operations: It seems to me they just don't work as I would expect them to do. Let's say we have a cube and and a smaller sphere. Now I want to create an object by subtracting the sphere from the cube... how ??! :)

Thanks for any input...
Mooh!

Tol

• Guest star
  • Occasional poster
  • Oro?
    • View Profile
    • www.blender3d.cz
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2004, 04:57:11 PM »

Hi,

well... I'm messing around with Blender for a while now, where I learned to love the modelling possibilities. Now... I always had some questions in my mind, which might be very ridiculous for you and maybe quite general, but I'll just ask away, bcause I'm stuck with the second question currently.

1. If you are creating a simple shed (4 walls, 1 door, 1 window), what is the best way of arranging the parts of it ? I tried it by making separate objects for the walls (cutting out the window and the door), the floor, etc. ! That worked fine so far, but is it the best way ?

2. Now I want to use textures on it and the problems begin. I want to use some texture for the inside and another one for the outside (together with a bump map). How can I do that ? I guess I have to use UV coordinates, but I don't get how to use them. Or will I have to create a new object for the outer wall ? No, can't be the way, can it ?

3. Boolean operations: It seems to me they just don't work as I would expect them to do. Let's say we have a cube and and a smaller sphere. Now I want to create an object by subtracting the sphere from the cube... how ??! :)

Thanks for any input...

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2004, 05:12:07 PM »

ad 1: I don't know if it's the best way, but when I so things like this, I just use a cube, subdivide several times and cut out the windows and doors.

ad 3: I don't use boolean very often (aka never :-) ), so it's better too copy a solution from a tutorial:

Blender boolean operations are done using the "Intersect" button.

1) Position two or more objects so that they overlap or intersect in space.

2) Select those objects with "shift+right mouse click" and (CTRL-J) join them.

3) In editmode (TAB), select all (A) then hit the "Intersect" button.

This will perform a boolean operation that creates all standard forms of booleans at one time. You must then select which parts you want to keep. This is done in editmode. You simply put your mouse over the area you want to select and press the "L" key on your keyboard. This will select all of the connected points on an object. You can then move, rearrange or delete any portion of the new objects created by the boolean intersect.

As far as I know they will remain as joined meshes so that they can only be manipulated independently in editmode with the "L" key. Use "P" seperate the selected verticies.

ad 2: Not sure about this point ... I think there was a way, but I have to try out later.

Tol

• Guest star
  • Occasional poster
  • Oro?
    • View Profile
    • www.blender3d.cz
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2004, 06:22:39 PM »

ad 1: I don't know if it's the best way, but when I so things like this, I just use a cube, subdivide several times and cut out the windows and doors.

ad 3: I don't use boolean very often (aka never :-) ), so it's better too copy a solution from a tutorial:

Blender boolean operations are done using the "Intersect" button.

1) Position two or more objects so that they overlap or intersect in space.

2) Select those objects with "shift+right mouse click" and (CTRL-J) join them.

3) In editmode (TAB), select all (A) then hit the "Intersect" button.

This will perform a boolean operation that creates all standard forms of booleans at one time. You must then select which parts you want to keep. This is done in editmode. You simply put your mouse over the area you want to select and press the "L" key on your keyboard. This will select all of the connected points on an object. You can then move, rearrange or delete any portion of the new objects created by the boolean intersect.

As far as I know they will remain as joined meshes so that they can only be manipulated independently in editmode with the "L" key. Use "P" seperate the selected verticies.

ad 2: Not sure about this point ... I think there was a way, but I have to try out later.

Believe me that Booleans are really  the worst way to do doors, windows ect. and should be used only when it is really necesary (for example on rounded surfaces)- booleans are mostly unpredictable, need too much faces to perform, so it slows render and dificult later tweaking with proportions.
The really best way, experienced for all that years I am working with B., is that you find on pictures of that tutorial I have mentioned in my last post:) It is best becaus it is fast (faster then booleans) and it leaves nice meshes withouth unecessary polys completelly under your control.

And for booleans- there is no Intersection button in edit buttons anymore since 2.25. Now there are full booleans operations which you will find under "w" key out of edit mode :)

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2004, 06:27:55 PM »

And for booleans- there is no Intersection button in edit buttons anymore since 2.25. Now there are full booleans operations which you will find under "w" key out of edit mode :)

Uuuups :)

As I said, I never use them :)

But ... what tutorial did you mention?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2004, 06:41:45 PM »

is that you find on pictures of that tutorial I have mentioned in my last post:)

Errrr, unfontunately your last post is kinda...missing ;)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2004, 07:33:11 PM »

Errrr, unfontunately your last post is kinda...missing ;)

I already wondered... Tol, could you please post your message again ? Only my quotes are in your post, something went wrong there... and I'd be quite interested in your opinions. :)

Nihil: Thanks for your comments, I'll answer later... I have to play around with it. (But as Tol already mentioned, the GUI changed there a lot)

Meanwhile I understood a lot of the UV topic in Blender, but I'll comment later.
Mooh!

Tol

• Guest star
  • Occasional poster
  • Oro?
    • View Profile
    • www.blender3d.cz
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2004, 09:49:23 AM »

ORO? :o Where my beautiful post went? :'(

OK, so short version:
1.Tutorial- I meant this tutorial, it it in czech but there are pictures and it documents how I make windows and door at the house

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2004, 03:29:22 PM »

If you have too much time some day, it would be very cool to have english translations of your tutorials ;)

(or if I have too much time i learn the czech language :) )

One off-topic question: Is Gamedesigner your main-job, or do you have "normal" job too? (what I want to know is - can you live from designing adventures?)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.