Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Poll

Which resolution offers the best way between easy-to-create-aspects and up-to-date style

320*200
- 0 (0%)
640*480
- 7 (24.1%)
everything higher
- 22 (75.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Best resolution for classic adventure  (Read 9816 times)

Zord911

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Best resolution for classic adventure
« on: October 13, 2004, 03:24:33 PM »

OT:

Hi folks,
although i´m not new to adventures at all, i´m new to anything about making on of my self. After a "till-4a.m ::beer" event ( we played DOTT via notebook & beamer in the partyroom - retro style superb...) we made the descision to quite our jobs and make adventures from now on. Next day we changed our goals to: let`s try to create a funny game like DOTT.

We`ve got me (organisation & "motivationsource), friend 1 ( Flashprogger & PS maniac) and friend 2 (self-called "boygenius in drawing) as creationdreamteam.

some samples: http://www.akumaworld.net/1_medienliste/0064_comictelsascharfekurven/
http://www.akumaworld.net/1_medienliste/0050_comictelsavatertag/

please give us your opinion on the question, displayed above. Maybe a word or two as reason

mfg Zord911

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Re: Best resolution for classic adventure
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 03:41:49 PM »

The question is, what do you want to achieve? If you are going for that old retro look, you should use a low resolution, perhaps as small as 320x240. If you just want to create some kind of comic adventure, you should choose a higher, good looking resolution (800x600+).

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 05:43:01 PM »

From the samples you provided it seems that your  ::beer -maniac team (yeah, yeah, cool man! wow! yeah!) would like to create a cartoon adventure. In this case I'd recommend a resolution of 800x600 or even higher if don't plan your game to be playable in ancient computers.

...going the fridge to get a beer  ::beer
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 05:46:19 PM »

Hiya and welcome!

although i´m not new to adventures at all, i´m new to anything about making on of my self. After a "till-4a.m ::beer" event ( we played DOTT via notebook & beamer in the partyroom - retro style superb...) we made the descision to quite our jobs and make adventures from now on. Next day we changed our goals to: let`s try to create a funny game like DOTT.

Sounds good, I LOVE DOTT! (As you might have guessed already by my avatar, ehm...). Who cares a job if you can create a DOTT-like game ? Oh well, me maybe... but DON'T mind me! :)

Ok, I decided for a larger resolution, although I love classical retro adventures, but... uhm... ok it must be a VERY good old game to force my eyes to play it. But of course this depends of the adventure's style.
Mooh!

deadworm222

• Regular poster
  • Wintermute Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 06:05:55 PM »

I voted for 640*480, because it's still slightly pixel-y. On the other hand you could choose 1024*768 and make the graphics ultra accurate. That's another kind of eye candy.

Zord911

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 07:10:05 PM »

in my opinion the biggest problem with high-res is, that you make the drawing even more difficult because the viewer can see every eyebrown of the char and the other stuff has to be constructed ulta-detailed e.g. no-go areas or back/front regions. So 640*480  ( DOTT was in 640*400 dunno y) semms to be the best value

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 07:52:12 PM »

Yeah, I was just going to say it also depends on the artist, on what style of work does he prefer. I can imagine the low-res graphics might be too limitating, while - as you said - high-res requires a lot of attention. So, 640x480 would sound like a good trade-off between the two. But then again, the monitors are getting bigger and bigger :) and even 640x480 is considered "blocky" today. So I'm voting for 800x600.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 07:14:01 AM »

...DOTT was in 640*400 dunno y...

Just a small unimportant correction. DOTT was in 320x200 resolution with 256colors.
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 04:45:33 PM »

...DOTT was in 640*400 dunno y...

Just a small unimportant correction. DOTT was in 320x200 resolution with 256colors.

And I really don't want to see DOTT more detailled. Strange. :) So again - it depends on. ;)
Mooh!

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 09:02:36 AM »

@Jerrot: perhaps you should have a look at the new dott2 trailer (a fan-adventure); its the old, well known style with better resolution (so i guess its possible to achieve best of both worlds).  :)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 09:29:15 AM »

@Jerrot: perhaps you should have a look at the new dott2 trailer (a fan-adventure); its the old, well known style with better resolution (so i guess its possible to achieve best of both worlds).  :)

Yeah, I already saw it, but it's hard to say anything about the resolution in a small movie. :) But it looked very familiar indeed...
Mooh!

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 10:27:19 AM »

but it's hard to say anything about the resolution in a small movie.
Thats true of course  ;D They use a resolution of 1024x768 in their game, so i guess it could be possible to reach highres graphics and to maintain that favourite style. Cant wait for the final game :)

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 26 queries.