Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Saved Games Location  (Read 5404 times)

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
Saved Games Location
« on: April 18, 2004, 05:36:27 PM »

Hi,

It's so quiet in here... I really hate to break the silence but I'm new here and I still need some help...

Anyway, is there a way to configure the saved games location? As it is, they are being saved in the \saves folder under the game's directory or in a folder with the game's name under the current user's "My Documents" if the "Personal savegames" option is enabled. I looked in all the options windows and configuration files and couldn't find any way of changing that. Is there a way or is the location hardcoded into the engine?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Saved Games Location
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 05:48:46 PM »

Yes, currently the location is hardcoded. I always thought those two options were enough...or not? :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 06:28:12 PM »

Well, in terms of functionality, they are indeed enough. In terms of flexibility, however, they are not. If I want a simple thing like having my game save its games under \SavedGames and not under \saves, I can't. Or if I think the games should be saved under My Documents\Game Name\Saved Games, I can't either.

Of course, it's not an absolute must, but I think a good game engine should strive to be as flexible as possible. So if it's a quick and easy thing to do, I think it should be configurable. If, however, it's a mess to start with it right now, then forget all about it...

I thought of something like the REGISTRY_PATH in the startup.settings file. Just like the REGISTRY_PATH is a relative path, assuming HKEY_CURRENT_USER as the root, the new setting could be relative as well and assume the root as either the game installation folder or the "My Documents" folder according to whether the "Personal savegames" is enabled or not. Leaving this setting blank could mean to place the saved games under the assumed root.

Anyway, maybe I'm just nagging but nagging people like me is what makes an engine more robust and flexible in the long run so I hope you won't be too annoyed...

This thread should be moved to the "Wishlist, suggestions" forum now, btw...

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 06:31:14 PM »

Mhm, ok. The code is already locked for current release but I'm adding it to ToDo for the future release.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 06:46:52 PM »

Cool! ;D. Thanks.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.