Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Module music... again  (Read 4609 times)

Arcnor

• Lurker
  • What llama are you today?
    • View Profile
    • Arcnor
Module music... again
« on: October 21, 2007, 11:26:03 AM »

Hi!

I searched in the forums before posting, and I know this have been requested at least once here... but that's from 2003!

So I'm requesting it again: Mnemonic, could you please add module support to WME? (I don't know how to do humble requests in English ;D) In that ooold post, you said you'll be adding it when you find a good library with a good license too. So, have you considered using libmikmod? Can't tell you what the memory requirements are (used it a long time ago) but license is LGPL, so I think it will fit.

Don't take me wrong, OGG support is REALLY great (I don't think MP3 support is needed, even if license changed) but IT/S3M/MOD/etc... have great advantages as well (I have a few mods that runs 10 minutes in 200ks. I know today size doesn't matter, but I frankly prefer a 3Mb download than a 15Mb one... It's more appealing :P) Also, I think it's more easy to do that neat "dynamic music" trick like Monkey Island 2 does (don't remember if music is modular or a stream, but I think it's the former)

Thanks, at least, for reading my *always* long post! ::slug

P.D. Mnemonic, just in the very likely case you don't want to add it, could it be possible for me to add it through a plugin? Thanks!

Update: I've seen the plugin interface and I think this is possible. I'll try...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 11:32:13 AM by Arcnor »
Watch behind you!! It's a three-headed llama!!!

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
Re: Module music... again
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 11:18:57 PM »

I would support this request.

Well, module support is not easy, for you will have a little bit of timer juggling even when using a library, for the timer routines for modules are slightly more complicated and time consuming than the timer routines for streaming.

The size advantage is great, but as I know the "wintermute core", won't be an argument.

But ... there are huge advantages if the support does not only allow to load, play and stop, but offers a module object with module specific commands like pattern jump, for example. This is possibly the best argument -- a bit like in Unreal I, where you have nice background music changing seamless into a matching battle theme when you run into a fight. Adventures know this too, not to this extent, but that was the idea behing iMuse. Wolfenstein does this with mp3, and you CAN do this with ogg, but not as seamless and integrated as it is possible with pattern jumps inside the same mods. Most mod libs support this.

You can do even more tricks with mods. Every mod format has "reserved" commands you can use for your own needs, so you could add a callback mechanism to the mod object, which calls an assigned function every time this commands are triggered, passing the parameters. This can be used to control timing in cutscenes, make perhaps disco lights flash to the music or any other stuff timed to the music. Never underestimate the effect of animations tightly timed to the music. I could even think of a sprite walking through a disco, using a script to the frame before he finally sets his foot on the floor making it wait a bit before playing the next frame until the next beat, so the character starts to walk somewhat "dancy" and seems to be influenced by the rhythem (well, in fact, he is ... ;-) ). Most mod libs support stuff like this, too.

If create this as a plugin, please let us have a chat about that ;-)

... delete the inner sleep ...

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:39:34 PM »

I can only say I'm not planning implementing mod support in any foreseeable future.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

sychron

• Wanderer zwischen den Welten
  • Global Moderator
  • Regular poster
  • There is no spoon. The enemy gate is down!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:03:30 AM »

Arcnor, my hope rests on you ;-)
... delete the inner sleep ...

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.