Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: 1920x1080 resolution, if it is at all Possible  (Read 23805 times)

Andrej

• Lurker
    • View Profile
1920x1080 resolution, if it is at all Possible
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:00:14 AM »

Mnemonic,

I know most games developed for WME probably never think about developing for high resolutions and so you didn't include them as options, but the project I am currently working on has a large chunk of its hand-drawn and painted artwork completed in 1920x1080 and one of the goals is to somehow release it at its original resolution.

Would it be possible for you to add this resolution in an update--it might be taxing on some systems, I understand that, but it would be a huge boon for our project!

Thanks for considering!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: 1920x1080 resolution, if it is at all Possible
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:20:43 AM »

Ok, you realize it's quite an overkill and many people with 1280x1024 LCD monitors won't be able to play your game, so I'll save my breath.

Other than that, what prevents you from using the resolution in current WME version? It works just fine here.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Akusa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:23:54 AM »

1920x1080? Are you sure you need such a high resolution?
I think you would also disqualify 95% of all monitors out there. My monitor has a max resolution of 1280x960.
I only know one guy who has a computer monitor that is capable of more then 1600x1200 and he is a professional graphic designer....

maybe you can show us some example work (if the pictures are under NDA you could maybe create an unrelated piece of work in the same quality) so we could come up with some sort of solution.

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 03:31:48 PM »

Not to forget that you will not get a decent framerate when using much graphic effects, unless you have  a very-high-end Graphics card.....

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »

Did you by the way realize that this is Full HD Resolution? What do you want to do with WME?

Andrej

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »

I don't think it is unreasonable-- many people are moving to full HD computer monitors and we're just trying to stay ahead of the trend (many if not most monitors that come packaged with computers from vendors like gateway and dell have full HD monitors)--not to mention you can just make the game look better when you have more space to work with. 

Mnemonic we do have our test version running at 1280x720, but WME support up to 1600pixels vertically-- why not 1920?  Surely you don't want to limit the developer if he sees fit to create the game in full HD.  It is the current standard for content creation.  Besides we will bear the risk of not being able to distribute to a large audience.

The difference between the current limit and full HD is only 320pixels vertically...I thought that making the small change wouldn't be too difficult.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:18:59 PM »

Something tells me you're not using the latest WME version. The limit in ProjectMan in WME 1.8.10 is set to 3000x3000 pixels and even that is an artificial limit.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Andrej

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 06:56:42 PM »

Bah!  You're right, I'm sorry.

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »

I just say that it's simply useless ( yet ) to create a "Full HD" game with WME, since WME does not scale. So everybody who cannot set the GPU to that resolution will not be able to play your Game, unless you are creating different packages.

Andrej

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:03:23 PM »

Yeah its true, many potential players are left out in the cold, that's the real draw back.  We are thinking about creating a low resolution package-- if I'm not mistaken it's possible to export and import a lot of data between projects so it might take a lot of the work out of it.  (I haven't really looked into this yet so I'm not a 100% about this).

But at the same time, someone who will not be able to play it immediately will probably be able to in the near future when he/she upgrades, or at the very least play it on a friend's monitor.  We are not making a game that rests on special effects and hype to deliver millions of units in the first week of release, if the game is good it will hang around the scene long enough so everyone can play it, I think.  Things move slowly in the adventure game world, so I thought it might be wise to do a little future-proofing with a high resolution.   

Exsecratus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 09:42:35 PM »

that resolution doesnt make sense for games
It will be harder to do sprites/graphics, waste memory and design inefficiency
o/

Chaoss

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »

You could create 2 version so your game, one in 720p and one in 1080p

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »

Duuuuuude :) look at the posts date before you answer...its 2 years ;)

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.