Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: best engine for me  (Read 10660 times)

joxer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
best engine for me
« on: March 07, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »

I am beginner and non-progammer. I am looking for some game engine.
I want to make a hidden object game (with some adventure features- inventory for example). Which engine is a good for me? I am considering wintermute, but I am not programmer and learn how to script seems impossible to me (i have tried another engines, for example shiva3d, but after many hours i was not able to learn anything about scripting)...

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: best engine for me
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »

If you don't plan to do complex things then scripting in wme shouldn't be that difficult. In my opinion it's worth to spend some time to learn wme as it's the most advanced free 2D/2.5D engine. Otherwise the only other (2D only & not free) engine I can think of, that doesn't require scripting knowledge, is visionaire studio.
fl*p

GreyDay

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »

Hi Joxer!

There are several game engines that are both free and easy to use and to get started with. While Wintermute Engine is one of these, it's not the only one, and it is mostly suited for (and excels at) Adventure games or other types of point-and-click input games.

You might want to check out GameMaker or Multimedia Fusion (I prefer Game Maker, but haven't really used multimedia fusion so) as well as Wintermute. GameMaker has the advantage of letting you make games without really scripting, but rather drag and drop commands, even though I would recommend using the scripting available for learning.

You should also check out Unity 3D (and even maybe Adobe Flash and UDK) when you have gotten a bit more experience in the scripting part.

Wish you the best of luck!

joxer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »

thanks much!
it will be great if I can learn scripting, but I dont have self-confidence about it. I am professinal 3d artist, I love games. but programming or scripting is really hard to understand for me

joxer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »

I have a specific question about wintermute- is it easy to make a game controlled only with left mouse click. or it is hard? :) thanks

shuin

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »

Ecerything is easy if you put a little time into learning how to script.
Anyway to make it left click only is not hard at all. But as i said above, you do need to know how to script.
Untitled project status: production

joxer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »

I know, scripting will be very hard for me.
Will I be able to learn wintermute scripting only with development kit and tutorials there?
Or if I am totaly unexperienced it will be impossible

Do I need to learn some programming language before? I really dont know where to start. I tried that once, many hours of headaches and I absolutely was not able to understand basics of scripting (but it was with shiva3d engine)...

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.