Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Foreground objects  (Read 7417 times)

Banbury

• Lurker
  • I'm a llama! Mooh!
    • View Profile
Foreground objects
« on: January 21, 2003, 08:24:23 AM »

Hi,
I just tested the 1.01 Beta and I'm really impressed. This is easily the best engine around. And it has a real programming language.
There is one thing, that bothers me though. I have to cut out all the objects, behind which my characters can walk. This is pretty awkward, if one has completed background bitmaps. Maybe you could have a look at the way Sludge solves this problem. It's much easier to paint over the objects with a single colour.

Greetings

Banbury

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Foreground objects
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 09:54:42 AM »

This is pretty awkward, if one has completed background bitmaps. Maybe you could have a look at the way Sludge solves this problem. It's much easier to paint over the objects with a single colour.

I'm not very familiar with Sludge so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see much difference in painting over the object with a single color, or painting the surroundings of the object in one colour. Or...?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Scarpia

• Occasional poster
  • Rich kid trash web designer :-P
    • View Profile
    • junk dot dk
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 07:48:20 PM »

I know what he is referring to. I do not know Sludge, but AGS works exactly like Banbury describes.

In AGS, the objects in the foreground that are actually just parts of the background image, can be defined as "walkbehinds". In SCI or AGI, these are referred to as "Priorities", since that's what they were supposedly called at Sierra originally. Defining a walkbehind is basically painting it over with a walk-behind color, and setting its base line (actor feet below the line, is drawn in front of 'object', actor feet above the line, then actor is behind).

HOWEVER -- the walk-behind color has a tendency of getting 'in the way' of the object, so to speak, when you draw on it, thus making it impossible to know if your area is too big for the object. So -- drawing around it is actually a MUCH MUCH better solution.

Scarpia

Lord Scrotor

• Lurker
  • I'm NOT a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 10:29:28 PM »

I'd prefer to see a new region type in scene editor that would let you outline an object on the background image then the engine will automatically seperate it from the background base on the shape of the region.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 03:40:53 PM »

Well, I'm afraid it wouldn't be possible to define the region pixel-precisely...
I still do think cutting out the object and filling its surroundings with a solid color in a painting program is an easier solution then some kind of z-buffers or walk-behinds or something.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.