Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Computer Reset when using wintermute!  (Read 14529 times)

Greifonte

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Computer Reset when using wintermute!
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:44:01 PM »

Hi there! My first post here is for reporting a (I'm not sure it is xD) a bug, but not without saying that I've recently discovered the powerfull tool wich is wintermute, and I love it!! Good job everybody involved on it's development ;)

And now the "thing"... I have two Pcs, one of them is windows XP, no problem on that one. But I use another PC for working on 3d and video postproduction, with Windows Vista Ultimate x64... the problem is that I open Wintermute, I make some things on it... and without giving errors or anything, my computer turns off and reset itself... I'm almost all the day in this computer, and it just happens with wintermute, it has happened something like 10 times... I tried to install a different version or reinstall it, reinstall the vredist and things like that... but nothing changes.

Thinking backwards, I notticed that it always happens after running the game... I can edit scenes, sprites, scripts and all that things without problems, but when I run the game to check if it works... some time after (less than a minute more or less) the computer reset without advising.

Another thing maybe helps to solve it: This happened to me playing to the "RoseMary" graphic adventure too...

I don't know why is this, or if it's really a bug, but I'd like to know how to solve it, cause I'm trying to learn how to use this fantastic engine, and make my own (little) adventure :D

Thanks in advance!!!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Computer Reset when using wintermute!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:05:22 PM »

If I were you, I'd check your computer for overheating troubles. Software can't just kill Windows. Crash in drivers can cause the blue screen, which by default restarts the computer. Are you getting a blue screen before the restart?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Greifonte

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:22:51 PM »

Hi Mnemonic!! Thanks for your answer ;)   

No, I'm not getting any blue screen... it just shut down, no errors, no advices... nothing... but it's the first time something like this happens to me... and I'm not a technician... so I have no idea on what's happening... but if it's a computer problem, tell me, aI'll check for information (and work on wintermute on my second pc xD) on how to solve it.

Thanks again!!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:41:51 PM »

Do you use this computer to play games? Do they crash?
fl*p

Greifonte

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:57:22 PM »

Yes, I use it to play a lot of games (examples: Call of Duty 4, Runaway 2, Crazy Machines, Command and Conquer Red alert 3...) and working with 3d on this computer... several games give me some error (splinter cell double agent) but just crash the game, not reseting the computer... I have no idea on what can be...

Weraustinne

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »

Yes, I use it to play a lot of games (examples: Call of Duty 4, Runaway 2, Crazy Machines, Command and Conquer Red alert 3...) and working with 3d on this computer... several games give me some error (splinter cell double agent) but just crash the game, not reseting the computer... I have no idea on what can be...

The problem can be in hardware acceleration of your graphics card as well.

Greifonte

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:35:21 PM »

Ok, I'll try to find information about that ;) For now, I'm working on a very simple Graphic Adventure test on my laptop. I almost have it... now just learn little details like combining object and that kind of things ;)

Thanks everyone!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 02:29:04 PM »

Like I said before, a sudden system shutdown suggests overheating problem. Some systems automatically shut themselves down when the temperature of some component is too high. Can't think of any other reason.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »

I had those kind of crashes very often a while ago, and it turned out to be malefunctioning ram. Crashes happened randomly in all sorts of applications though.

Greifonte

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 01:41:28 AM »

I see... well, I don't know, but for now I'm working on wintermute with my laptop, so no problem... if it crashes again out of wintermute... I'll call the seller ;)

Thanks again!!

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 10:10:22 AM »

I've had some experience in the past with sudden system shutdowns.

The problem was difficult to pinpoint while my system was set to automatically restart on system failure, but once I've change that, I could clearly see on the resulting blue screen that the video driver was the one responsible for the sudden system shutdowns.

Updating my video driver to the latest version fixed the problem in my case.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.