Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Version Control  (Read 6878 times)

eborr

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Version Control
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »

I am working on a project with other people, currently I am the sole code developer, but in time others might be involved, I have used CVS in the past and found it to be a pain, and that was only as a user. Can anyone suggest a simple version control solution than integrates with the Scitec code editor, which is gui driven, and can use a local repository, I don't really have the inclination to work with another cli

It would be great if any of you folks could make a recommendation based on your experince of working with wme projects that would be great. - plus also some guidance of how to integrate with the code editor.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Version Control
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »

I'm using two version control systems currently:

1) Subversion.

Setup a repository using Visual SVN Server.
For clients use TortoiseSVN.

TortoiseSVN integrates with Windows Explorer, so you basically just commit your project changes from there, no need to integrate with SciTe.

2) Mercurial

You can setup a free private repository at BitBucket (free as long as you don't need more than 5 users to access it).
For clients use TortoiseHG. The same applies here as for TortoiseSVN.

Another similar alternative to Mercurial is Git, but I don't have any experience with it.

Subversion used to be popular, but in the last 5 years or so distributed systems like Git and Mercurial are gaining more and more popularity.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »

I would be interested to know more about your experience with mercurial. We are using SVN for ages but I'd like to know why we would want to switch.

Thanks.

Edit: http://hginit.com/00.html

very interesting read.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:33:28 PM by metamorphium »
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Darky

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Spreadcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »

I'm using Subversion for about anything now, with the tools Mnemonic listed plus the Trac Plugin for VisualSVN, and a Dynamic DNS from no-ip.com for outside access. Originally I wanted to go with Mercurial because I do believe it is the better choice, but on Windows I could not figure out (or, more honestly: quiet grasp) how you can set up a central repository with it for outside access from the internet.

So my vote would be for Mercurial if you can set it up, otherwise Subversion, which is easier to set up but can easily come with more problems in everyday use. metamorphiums Link highlights those issues well.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:24:26 AM »

but on Windows I could not figure out (or, more honestly: quiet grasp) how you can set up a central repository with it for outside access from the internet.
And that's why I mentioned Bitbucket :) And you get an external backup, plus a simple issue tracker and a wiki.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Darky

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Spreadcamp
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:00:45 PM »

I took a look at Bitbucket and yes I agree now, it's a really really good service. I didn't pay attention to it before because I've seen a ton of Subversion Hosters with really horrible prices and conditions (and no unlimited space) that drove me away from checking more of those services out, but I'm pleasently surprised at Bitbucket :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:08:43 AM by Darky »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »

It's free for up to 5 users.

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »

Hey there. Take a look at lcube.de, there you can get SVN repositorie starting at 2,50€ / month, including a user management and stuff...price depends on how much space you need, but it's upgradable on the fly.

( e.g. 2,49€/Month for 750MB Disk and unlimited traffic, up to 22€ / Month for 10 GB )

We're using it for Return of the Tentacle and never had problems.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.