Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: 360-degree panoramas  (Read 12644 times)

kori

• Lurker
    • View Profile
360-degree panoramas
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:12:18 AM »

I have been testing Animation Maker, and what I really like is the 360-degree panorama feature. Will WME ever have something like this?

Kori :)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: 360-degree panoramas
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 08:14:33 AM »

No, it's not planned at the moment.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

kori

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 03:20:16 PM »

As I was working my way through the WME Scene Tutorial, there was a section where you have to reset the image size to it’s true size (It was larger than the 800x600 game window) which allows the game engine to pan left and right to see all of the image. Could something like this be used in a First Person Myst Clone game to let the player pan around the scene in a limited fashion? It would not be a true 360 pan, but it would give the player a feeling of a 3D scene.

I do not know if the WME engine can do something like this using the Myst 'hand sprite' to pan left and right, up and down. If it could, I would then render my background images into curved panoramic scenes larger than the 800x600 game window. Even if I could not pan 180 degrees, any small panning camera movement beyond the center view of the scene would give the player a sense of 3D.

Thanks
Kori
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 03:25:36 PM by kori »

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 04:36:29 PM »

Something like that is possible but it won't look good.

Check here http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=971.0
fl*p

organican

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 05:32:14 PM »

Something like that is possible but it won't look good.

Check here http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=971.0

Before you gave us the link, I came up with a similar idea to that thread.

You make a several screens wide panorama. And you add half a screen to the left and a half to the right.

Then I got another idea.

If this is a first person game, couldn't you have an invisible character that controls the camera?

And, say, if the mouse pointer is at the left part of the screen, that actor is automatically walking to the left.

Until he's at the "leftest" part of the scene, when he and the camera will be moved to the rightmost side.

I'm not sure how smooth it would be, or if it would work, but I think it's an idea to look into.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 07:04:14 PM »

If this is a first person game, couldn't you have an invisible character that controls the camera?

And, say, if the mouse pointer is at the left part of the screen, that actor is automatically walking to the left.

Until he's at the "leftest" part of the scene, when he and the camera will be moved to the rightmost side.

I'm not sure how smooth it would be, or if it would work, but I think it's an idea to look into.

I don't have time to check the docs right now but if I remember currently there as two attibutes that always return the X,Y coordinates of the mouse cursor. So, yes, it's possible to do that and the scrolling will be as smooth as Jerrot's demo you can find in the link I posted in my previous post. But it still won't look & behave like a true 360 panoramic engine. Check metamorphiums excellent reply in the other thread.
(http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=971.msg7711#msg7711)

EDIT: I'm not a programmer but I *think* it might be possible for someone to create a plugin for wme to do necessary "distortion" to the images to create a 360 panoramic scene.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 07:07:16 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

organican

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 07:34:22 PM »

I don't have time to check the docs right now but if I remember currently there as two attibutes that always return the X,Y coordinates of the mouse cursor. So, yes, it's possible to do that and the scrolling will be as smooth as Jerrot's demo you can find in the link I posted in my previous post. But it still won't look & behave like a true 360 panoramic engine. Check metamorphiums excellent reply in the other thread.
(http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=971.msg7711#msg7711)

Oh how stupid I feel!

I should've read the whole thread.

D'oh!

He even used an invisible character and all...

And, about the 360° view, you're right, of course, it wouldn't be a true 3-dimensional panorama.

It would be a 2D representation of a 3-dimensional space.

Kinda like how a world map is a 2D representation of the sperical world,
and not a depiction of the real thing. Of course!

But in an "artistic sense", a 2D representaion can be just as good as the real deal, just different.

I have never really liked 3D for making pretty pictures anyway. They never ever see it from the view you had in mind, anyway.

This "representation" thing would be the 4 direction pictures of the room stretched together into a "2D panorama" of the real 3D space. Something like that.

And I'm not sure if that could work in a game.

Maybe the idea is just too wierd.

But still interesting somehow, though.

No, the idea just makes me freak.

Enough with the 3D already! I can't stand it!

:)

kori

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 03:42:23 AM »

After reading some of the posts here explaining that WME should be used for, and what it was made for, I am a little confused.  Is WME made for first person point-and-click Myst type games, or is it made for third person Syberia type games? I have been working my way through the WME demo, and it is a third person Syberia type game. I do not see a demo for first person type games. Perhaps WME is made for third person games only, and should no longer be used for first person games.
Kori

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 08:32:09 AM »

Myst is not the only type of 1st person game, you can also have 1st person games with static screens. Dead City, Sofia's Debt and Rocco's sample are examples of 1st person games made with WME.

WME is not designed for Myst-like pseudo-3D view, though.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 11:52:33 AM »

Perhaps WME is made for third person games only, and should no longer be used for first person games.

I heard that WME and most other engines shouldn't be used for anything anymore because AGS is better anyway.

kori

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 02:57:41 PM »

Yes, I guess you are right.

Kori ;)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 01:26:39 AM »

And after all - Myst sucks anyway. (Ok, I said it. I know more people who think it, so be aware of punching me for that! ;))
Mooh!

kori

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 02:47:09 AM »

Yes, I guess you are right.
Why bother making another Myst game. They suck!

Kori ;)

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 10:18:35 AM »

I agree. Gimme more third person games please.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 10:20:42 AM by McCoy »

Click here to sign my sig!

leucome

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • Leucome Games
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 09:39:33 AM »

I think you can use a 3d actor like a big sphere or cylender and map your 360 panorama inside and make them rotate from the mouse position.... If the camera is inside ... That will probably work....
And you will probably need to test the mouse position with your own script to make that interactive ....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 09:58:31 AM by leucome »
Look my Site ——► http://news.leucome.ca

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.