Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: different directory for package(s)  (Read 5277 times)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
different directory for package(s)
« on: July 26, 2003, 10:24:26 AM »

I would like the wme.exe interprenter to search for the data files not only in the same dir it is executed but also in a /data/   dir
I am asking this, because I am thinking of splitting my project in many smaller packages, and I wouldn't like my game's dir to have 50 files inside (like all the old dos games). Now... I understand that you might find strange the fact that I would like to split my project, but this method has one big IMO advantage : when you finish and upload/distribute you project and AFTER you find a few bugs then you can update only the neccessary files (for example the scripts.dcp) and not all the game (with the graphics, music, sounds, etc). If this method has any disadvantages that I can't think now please say so.
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:different directory for package(s)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 10:45:42 AM »

Actually, WME *does* search for the packages also in data\ subdirectory. You can also set other folders by creating the well-known "dcgf.ini" file with something like:

[Resource]
PackagePaths=path1;path2;path3

As for the updates, you don't have to split your resources now, but rather when the need arises, you can only pack the updated resources into a new package. If you set it a higher priority that the original package(s), WME will use those new resources instead. You can set the priority in ProjectMan in the package properties.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 11:08:18 AM »

Actually, WME *does* search for the packages also in data\ subdirectory. You can also set other folders by creating the well-known "dcgf.ini" file with something like:

[Resource]
PackagePaths=path1;path2;path3

Cool! :) Are there any other usefull features that can be used with the dcgf.ini file?

As for the updates, you don't have to split your resources now, but rather when the need arises, you can only pack the updated resources into a new package. If you set it a higher priority that the original package(s), WME will use those new resources instead. You can set the priority in ProjectMan in the package properties.

I was always wondering what the "priority" property does... It looks like that you have thought everything before us...
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 12:23:28 PM »

Are there any other usefull features that can be used with the dcgf.ini file?

Not really, I think you know them all now :-)
Basically, the dcgf.ini file is equivalent to the WME project files (*.wpr) generated by ProjectMan.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.