Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: First person adventure game and interface questions??  (Read 4265 times)

noxis

• Lurker
  • Noxis Interactive
    • View Profile
    • Noxis Media
First person adventure game and interface questions??
« on: October 19, 2006, 05:36:57 AM »

Hello I was just wondering how you would go about making a 1st person adventure in WME, would I have to use a dummy character file. An example would be just to make transparent boxes as the characters so you can't see them.  I also would like to use the interface from the 3d_demo as a basis for my game, I have tried to remove it from the demo and add it into my project but it doesn't seem to work.  Even though I port of the scripts.

To make it easier, I am looking at doing an adventure like "Dead City", i've been trying for hours but I haven't been able to work it out.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

noxis

• Lurker
  • Noxis Interactive
    • View Profile
    • Noxis Media
Re: First person adventure game and interface questions??
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 10:03:20 AM »

Thanks I really appreciate your help, I must say this engine is much more refined than ags.  I was very reluctant to move to this engine because the support isn't as big as AGS.  But in the end, technically I find this Wintermute to be a much more refined engine than the later.

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 01:15:07 PM »

what do you mean by "support is not that big?"  >:D Not only I learned a lot from the community here, but also I got lots of features really fast added into WME based on my requests. This is IMO unparalleled in the game engine word (and I went through a couple of different engines).

There are some things which can help you a lot though. When posting bug reports or how do I's, be specific, don't write it does't work. Instead write for example:  I am trying to do this and the result is syntax error in the wme.log file (most of the cases you realize, you'll be abe to fix this yourself by reading log file anyway ;))

So if you feel you get little support here, could you please explain in what field? :)

Cheers.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

noxis

• Lurker
  • Noxis Interactive
    • View Profile
    • Noxis Media
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 01:56:31 PM »

Didn't mean it like that, what I was trying to say is that the AGS community is insanely huge.  Which doesn't always mean a good thing.  I am definetly liking this smaller community as the answers that you would get would be more accurate.

While I am here, is there a way to change transitions betweens rooms rather than a quick fade?

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:40:43 PM »

It depends on what exactly you want to achieve.

Game.ChangeScene(); has two optional parameters: FadeIn and FadeOut

This means that if you want to have transition without any fading you specify:

Game.ChangeScene("some scene goes here",false,false);

You can of course make your own Changing Scene method, where you for example make some transition effect and
then call the original without the fadeout. All posibilities awaits you, so it's just the matter of more concrete wish. :)

Cheers.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.