Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Switching to Wintermute...and perhaps a mild Bug Report  (Read 3130 times)

CMK2901

• Lurker
  • Zoidberg is afoot!
    • View Profile
    • CMK Studios
Switching to Wintermute...and perhaps a mild Bug Report
« on: January 25, 2007, 03:45:06 AM »

Hi,

Just a few hours ago, actually, I discovered Wintermute and have been a bit on the fence about converting my current project to use it...I'm currently using Adventure Game Studio.  The game I am working on is an FMV adventure, and could greatly benefit from Wintermute's Theora video features and higher resolutions, but I have to admit I don't like the idea of learning a new engine.  Before I switch to Wintermute, I was wondering if there are any notable features of AGS that I could possibly sorely miss in Wintermute...I'd hate to put all my files into Wintermute only to find a key feature is missing.

Also, maybe a bug report, but my game is entirely greyscale (50's sci-fi b-movie vibe) and I noticed that the backgrounds display incorrectly in-game.  This was easily fixed by changing the file to 24-bit color from greyscale, but I figured that might just be an overlooked bug.
CMK Studios
I don't think we're hearing the same voices.

Orange Brat

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Orange Brat Shenanigans™
Re: Switching to Wintermute...and perhaps a mild Bug Report
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 12:16:13 PM »

I'm not sure DirectX can handle a true greyscale image. Maybe it can but perhaps WME and other DX engines are designed/coded to only read RGB format (16-, 24-, and 32-bit). I'm using a realtime engine (WME on the side), and my title also features all black and white textures/levels, and I have to use RGB format images (24-bit TGA in my case) for it. Greyscale simply crashes my editor.
The Disenfranchised™ - coming later

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 09:56:46 PM »

Also, maybe a bug report, but my game is entirely greyscale (50's sci-fi b-movie vibe) and I noticed that the backgrounds display incorrectly in-game.�
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

CMK2901

• Lurker
  • Zoidberg is afoot!
    • View Profile
    • CMK Studios
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 10:56:19 PM »

Ah, yes.

I was using an 800x600 render from Blender in .PNG format, though .TGA format had same problem (didn't try BMP).  The image was greyscale (PSP tells me they are 8-bit).  The image would display mostly correct, but there were black dots/lines which appeared randomly across the picture, mostly in bright areas.  Converting the PNG file to 24-bit color (but still in black and white) seemed to fix the problem.  Doing this does increase the file size a bit (about an extra 70kb), but otherwise, it's fine.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:39:31 PM by CMK2901 »
CMK Studios
I don't think we're hearing the same voices.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.