Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Fighting Game and Resident Evil 3 Style Plausibility  (Read 3956 times)

BloodRush

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Fighting Game and Resident Evil 3 Style Plausibility
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:03:36 PM »

Hello everyone :) 

I'm new to 2D Game Engines and I wish to try making one of the following games:

1. Fighting Game - Something really simple. A 1 vs 1 fighting game with perhaps only 4 or 5 moves per character no matter how ancient it would look. Preferably low poly 3D models for the fighters themselves. I'm absolutely not after something like Tekken.

2. Resident Evil Style Game - One that uses WASD to navigate the 3D character (instead of point and click) with pre-rendered backgrounds. Something that would look at least nearly as good as RE3.

Would these be possible using Wintermute?

What seems attractive to me is that it has 3D character support. However, the other engine I looked into, AGS felt attractive as well because of its cross-platform capability. Are there are things I should take note of in choosing between AGS and Wintermute? Or would there be other more suitable tools outthere?

Thanks in advance everyone  ;D

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Game and Resident Evil 3 Style Plausibility
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 07:40:19 PM »

It can do both. Second is natively supported, first one is certainly possible but you'll need to script collision detection.

As for the question for other engines the answer is obvious (as this is the wintermute forum). What attracts me more into wme (apart from technical things) is that almost everything in it follows a (not limiting) logic that I understood from the first time I tried it. But to be fair you'd have to ask more specific questions (like 1 & 2).
fl*p

BloodRush

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 03:32:49 AM »

Thanks odnorf!

Regarding the native support for RE style controls, is it under the default Actor class, or should I (and can I) create a custom class for that?

Also, would there be any possible way to port this engine over to MAC OS X? The AGS site says that they have a beta runtime for MAC OS X.  :-\

:)

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 08:20:58 AM »

Regarding the native support for RE style controls, is it under the default Actor class, or should I (and can I) create a custom class for that?
WME provides you with methods for direct control handling (actor3d objects) and it provides you with keyboard events. How you wrap them in your scripts is up to you.

Also, would there be any possible way to port this engine over to MAC OS X?
Not in this generation of the engine.

The AGS site says that they have a beta runtime for MAC OS X.  :-\
Yes, and it's been in beta for, like, 2 years.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

BloodRush

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 06:43:53 PM »

Omg!!!  :D It's the great Mnemonic  ;D Thanks for the info pal  ::rock

Last question though, would the interface be customizable through scripts? I mean, can I remove the default pop out inventory box at the top of the screen, and/or create my own custom menu or something to that effect?

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 07:15:44 PM »

As long as you are prepared to script you can create almost any user interface you can imagine.
fl*p

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.