Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: lighting  (Read 4157 times)

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
lighting
« on: May 11, 2008, 12:53:40 AM »

Export for Blender works all right.  The lighting, at least the lamp, seems to work somewhat, but there is a light always on the front of the character which looks a little unnatural.  Is that adjustable at all?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: lighting
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 08:33:39 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean. It depends on the light position...
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 02:31:27 PM »

Here's the character basically facing a camera light and an overhead light with some ambient from the color thing. It looks weird because only the parts attached to bones show up in WM and it's unfinished.

Now I've just turned the character around, but his back has turned dark, his front is light and always takes the most light, which looks unnatural, although a small amount of that would be all right.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:58:15 AM »

Now *this* could be related to normals. At least I can't see any other explanation of such effect.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:56:09 PM »

I think the light shading on the character is really too good for it to be a normal problem.  Although overall darker, it still shades correctly in all directions.  It just looks like there's a light attached to the front of the character.  I thought maybe it was getting exported in the X file, so I deleted all the lights in the scene, but it didn't help.  Come to think of it, I did have this weird parenting problem with the skeleton.  Maybe I'll experiment with that.  It might be sort of thinking the character is laying on his back in a light gathering way. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:08:56 PM by fireside »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:18:56 PM »

Nope, it certainly isn't the case, because X files can't even contain lights. And I can guarantee, that WME only uses the lights defined in the scene geometry.

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »

OK, that helps.  Then I know there is some type of model problem.  I'll get it eventually, I hope.

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »

I messed around with it.  By not using flip zy and doing a rotation, I can get a fixed lighting effect on the top of the character instead of the front.   However, if I rotate the character only slightly from that position it doesn't change the light in the way it should, it still comes from the top.   Normals are dynamic and you say there is no light information in an .x file, so why am I getting this static light effect?  Maybe I accidentally did vertex shading.  I'll try exporting a sphere model with no texture.

edit: A spheroid with no texture or vertex information whatsoever still has static lighting effects.  I don't like to argue with you, but I can't see any other way than the engine doing that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:31:10 PM by fireside »

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.