Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Background not showing?  (Read 9964 times)

Scarpia

• Occasional poster
  • Rich kid trash web designer :-P
    • View Profile
    • junk dot dk
Background not showing?
« on: February 20, 2003, 07:40:18 PM »

Hi.

I seem to be the only one to post about this issue, but even that won't stop me (mwahaha):

When I try to Run the demo game, it works fine, except that the background image doesn't load. I'm stuck with a lot of blank white space (and the text is kinda hard to read on that background) with a bunch of objects, entities and the actor walking around. It's kinda hard to navigate around like that.

How do I fix this? I changed the gfx settings, but with no luck. Everything else works fine :)

Scarpia

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Background not showing?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 08:53:45 AM »

(just for the record: I'm in contact with Scarpia and we'll try to resolve the problem)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Scarpia

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • junk dot dk
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 10:53:43 PM »

I'm experiencing something very odd. Perhaps it is related to the other problme I had (although I don't think so)

When I start a New Game from the Basic Project Template, there is a default background.bmp. If I run the game, that background shows all right. But the I open up the scene using the Scene Editor, and the background.bmp isn't showing as sprite on the 'background' entity. Also, the preview window to the right does NOT show the background image, only black space.

If I close the Scene Editor without saving, the background.bmp still shows upon execution. But if I save the changes, the background goes black. And if I try to add the background.bmp in the 'sprite' field of the background entity, I get an error in the log window upon execution ... and the background image STILL doesn't show!

Strange, I know.

I will try the newest patch and see if the problem persists.

[JUST TRIED. THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE]

Scarpia

« Last Edit: February 24, 2003, 11:00:52 PM by Scarpia »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 09:33:01 AM »

WME seems to have troubles with your videocard. The source of all problems is probably the fact, that the card is unable to load large textures. By default, WME queries the video hardware for the largest supported texture size and it subdivides the pictures if needed (this was necessary for the Voodoo cards). Your videocard reports it can handle textures of the size of 2048x2048 pixels, but it obviously can't. So, I think forcing WME to subdivide textures should fix the problem (we've successfuly tested it on the runtime, now we need to do the same to the tools).
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Scarpia

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • junk dot dk
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 04:04:48 PM »

Yeah ok. Is there a setting in WME to force texture subdivision?

Scarpia

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 04:35:01 PM »

Not yet.
Although you can force it by manually editing the project file (*.wpr) and adding a line to the [Debug] section.
Something like:

[Debug]
DumbVideoCard=1

This is a "secret" option I've used to debug the texture subdivision on my GeForce2 :)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 02:01:33 AM »

hi,

i'm the newbie!  ;)

although I'm really surprised by the amount of features in these early release versions (congratulations!) of wintermute, i have - of course - some problems, especially this one scarpia described.

When I start a New Game from the Basic Project Template, there is a default background.bmp. If I run the game, that background shows all right. But the I open up the scene using the Scene Editor, and the background.bmp isn't showing as sprite on the 'background' entity. Also, the preview window to the right does NOT show the background image, only black space.

yes, that's it - and i suppose, that's not a problem of texture subdivision (uh - well, actually i don't know much about this matter), but just with the paths.

if you enter the scene editor as scarpia describes, the sprite filename is empty. using the file requester adds "background.bmp" to the "Room.scene" file, but it finally only works with "scenes\Room\background.bmp". (i entered this manually).
unfortunately, the scene edit "forgets" this path when entering, I don't know why this does NOT happen when opening e.g. the tutorial files.

my second problem (same case, creating a new project using the basic game template) is the actor posing in scene edit: it works with the tutorial files, but in a new project, Molly won't load. i can select the Molly.actor file in the file requester, but then the mouse pointer disappears until i click somewhere. (i guess that would be correct if Molly was visible instead of the pointer - but she is not!)

finally : sorry, if my english sounds quite poor, hope you can understand me somehow.

thanks, jerrot.
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2003, 09:32:14 AM »

Hi Jerrot,

one question, are you using the latest version of WME (the one that can be downloaded at this forum)? In case of Scarpia there was really a problem with loading large pictures which should be fixed in the latest WME version.
The problem was: 1) SceneEdit couldn't load the background pricture 2) therefore it "forgot" it after saving the scene. I don't know whether it's your case too. Anyway, the tools and the runtime itself write the log files. Those files are located in the same folder where your project file (*.wpr) resides. When there's something wrong, it usually gets logged in those files, so you can check there or (prefferably) send them to my email.

Unfortunately, it's possible the paths can be messed up a bit in the templates :( The templates certainly need a revision before new version is released...

finally : sorry, if my english sounds quite poor, hope you can understand me somehow.
No problem, many people on this forum are not native english speakers, including me. And your english is IMHO pretty good.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2003, 10:21:03 AM »

hi mnemonic,

thank you for answering that fast  ! :D

one question, are you using the latest version of WME (the one that can be downloaded at this forum)?

i just discovered and downloaded the patch - unfortunately there is the same problem. i even tried that "DumbVideoCard=1" but I'm quite sure the error is far easier.

The problem was: 1) SceneEdit couldn't load the background pricture 2) therefore it "forgot" it after saving the scene. I don't know whether it's your case too.

hm, i can load the background image in the scene edit (its displayed correctly), but it doesn't save the image with the correct path, it just saves "background.bmp", so when executing it just says "Error opening file "background.bmp" !" when i open Room.scene with UltraEdit and enter "scenes\Room\background.bmp" as path, the executable works! BUT - entering SceneEdit again, the background is gone again.

Unfortunately, it's possible the paths can be messed up a bit in the templates :( The templates certainly need a revision before new version is released...

ok, just to check if you get the same error, you maybe could try this:

1. open project manager
2. create new (basic) project
3. jump to scenes\Room\Room.scene (the "insert your scene image here" picture should be visible!)
4. doubleclick it - sceneedit opens - without the background picture and without a path in the sprite input field. (duh!)
5. open the file requester for the sprite and open background.bmp.
6. save and quit scene edit
7. discover, that by refreshing the preview of Room.scene the background has gone. executing throws the "not found" error. adding the path manually in room.scene corrects this.

Thank you, I guess you'd like to spend your time better...  ;)
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2003, 10:56:54 AM »

Ok, I will test at home it in the evening. Thank you.

Scarpia

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • junk dot dk
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2003, 05:35:12 PM »

In case of Scarpia there was really a problem with loading large pictures which should be fixed in the latest WME version.

Actually, the particular part of the problem that Jerrot is describing, wasn't fixed with me either.

Scarpia

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Build 017 did it!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2003, 11:12:28 PM »

Yes!

the new build 017 solved the problem, thanks mnemonic!!

(hmmm... i reported that bug 21 hours ago - on a wednesday - and I got a new release version to download the same day... NOT TOO BAD, SIR!  :D !)

oh, and by the way - there was my second problem with the actor posing i mentioned, but that was the same problem with the path - so now it works fine.

* Jerrot is happy !

:)
Mooh!

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.