Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Camera off center when importing scene geo in Blender  (Read 8830 times)

zaskaggs

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Camera off center when importing scene geo in Blender
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:38:10 PM »

I've been trying for a few days to get scene geometry successfully from Blender to WME. I think I'm getting close now, but there's still one problem; the camera seems to shift a bit in the final product.

After reading around on the forum and a bit of experimentation this is the workflow I've used to get this far: I export the scene geometry from blender in .fbx format, then I use Autodesk's FBX converter tool to turn the .fbx into a .3ds file.

I'm using Blender 2.6 and the 2006 version of the FBX converter, but I've tried using older versions of blender (2.48, and 2.49b) and other versions of the converter with no apparent change in results.

Here's an image to show what I'm talking about. This is with an image rendered from the same camera in Blender and the background image placed at 0, 0 coordinates.

If I manually control the camera FOV and reposition the background image quite a bit I can get something closer to the target, but it isn't possible to get it dead on (this is more apparent with other elements in the scene, the cube alone isn't too bad in this example).

It's possible I have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone else is using Blender for scene geometry and could give me some insight into their pipeline I'd really appreciate it.  :)

jackslawed

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Camera off center when importing scene geo in Blender
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »

Not sure how to help, but no one else has answered, so here goes.

I didn't have blender problems, but I remember similar problems a long time ago. From what I remember:

1. Check your resolution for the scene and game... this caused problems with scrolling scenes and geometry for me once, I think
2. Check your field of view and clipping planes on the camera settings in Blender (not too familiar with Blender, but it might help).
3. Try setting your clipping planes in the scene to -1 (near) and -1 (far). That is -1 for both! From what I remember, distant clipping planes cause problems

Sorry if those aren't useful!

TwistedMonkey

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:38:14 PM »

This looks like Blender 2.5.
What exporter are you using to get the 3ds geometry into Wintermute?
And what folder in Blender did you install it in to get it to work?
I've been trying to test Blender but have been unsuccessful with it.

The problem youre having looks very similar to a problem with exporting from Cinema4d.
The camera looks like it's tilted by a degree in one of the directions.
For example - in Cinema the camera gets tilted on it's Bank. So I added a degree before exporting and it lined it right up.
I'm not familiar with the Heading/Pitch/Bank system in Blender but you might try adjusting one of those rotations by a degree, then export and see if it lines it up.

TwistedMonkey

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 11:45:27 PM »

Looking at Blender it looks like the X rotation is off by a degree.
Before exporting the geometry, add 1 degree to X rotation, then export.
I bet this is the identical problem fix as I'm having in Cinema.

TwistedMonkey

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 11:49:47 PM »

Actually I think it's the Y rotation (of the camera) in Blender.
Or not. I'm just starting to learn the thing. Been using Cinema since it's inception.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.