Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: directional problems  (Read 4024 times)

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
directional problems
« on: June 07, 2013, 03:51:59 AM »

I'm wondering if there is a problem with my actor.  He works properly when clicking on a location on the floor.  However, when walking to an object, he looks fine, but when the object is on his right and I put that as the direction in scene edit, he looks left.   I put left and he looks right. Then again, what is left and right for the character?   When I use turnto(object).  It seems to depend where he is in the scene.  Sometimes he looks at it, sometimes away from it.  Forward, back, it almost seems random, but I'm pretty sure at that point on the screen, he would always do the same thing.  This is a 3d actor and the object is a region entity.  Does that still work all right?  Weird thing is, he turns and walks to it flawlessly when it's clicked on.  I think it has something to do with it being on a table rather than on the floor.  The goto lists a point on the floor.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:13:27 AM by fireside »

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: directional problems
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 07:16:20 AM »

For 3D actors the direction constants are simply converted to a certain rotation angle, in other words they're actor-relative, not screen-relative, because like you said, the screen directions don't make much sense for 3D actors, because they're dependent on camera angle.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

fireside

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »

I can deal with that no problem because it's consistent.  The turnto gives inconsistent results, however.  I think my main option may be to not use it unless I want to create an object that's on the floor and use it as a proxy.  It doesn't really matter because I haven't decided what UI to use.  I was going to use right click, left click and since the right click is look, it's more convenient some times to have the character just turn to that object and say whatever the look option is instead of waiting for the character to walk over to it.  If it's all in one, then it doesn't matter so much if the character walks over to the object.

nigec

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • NigeC Studios
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:23:20 AM »

So its relative to the x,y of the hidden geometry ? I'm using y polar north

binary1

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 04:20:56 AM »

Fireside:
Were you able to get "TurnTo" and "GoTo" working?  I have a dog on a table and want the actor to turn and go over to it.  Instead the actor turns its back and doesn't move.  I finally go the actor going to it by using GoTo(x,y) where x,y is a point on the floor near the table.  I am just using TurnTo(DI_LEFT) to have the actor look over toward the dog but the dog isn't always exactly to the left.

Did you find a better solution?

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.