Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: New: Old AdventureMaker User would like to build 1st person game  (Read 5252 times)

reneuend

• Lurker
  • See my games at: http://www.hickchickgames.com
    • View Profile
    • Hick Chick Games
New: Old AdventureMaker User would like to build 1st person game
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:03:27 PM »

Hey all. I'm a previous AdventureMaker user and decided to try out Wintermute (AdventureMaker doesn't support Windows 7). I searched for 1st person game examples and only found ones with dead links. Does someone have a tutorial or project example for a 1st person game?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: New: Old AdventureMaker User would like to build 1st person game
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 03:35:48 PM »

You can follow the scene creation tutorial in the documentation, but you can ignore the parts related to actors (that would be.... most of the parts, really, 1st person is much easier to do than 3rd person).
To get quickly started, you can download this and replace the default "actors\molly" actor in the project template. It will replace the Molly character with an invisible unmovable actor. Then all you need to do is to start creating scenes with hotspots, and script reactions to those hotspots. You can safely ignore the scene layering stuff in the tutorial.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

reneuend

• Lurker
  • See my games at: http://www.hickchickgames.com
    • View Profile
    • Hick Chick Games
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 04:37:47 AM »

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out. I hope that Wintermute can do as much as, if not more than AM did for me.

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »

Wintermute is brilliant for First Person games. That's how we did 'Rhiannon'. This is a magnificently flexible engine.

What Adventure Maker had that Wintermute doesn't (officially) is the 'inside of a sphere' effect for full rotation. But Darkling Room found a way round it for their latest game and for 'Coven', we're working on a form of rotation based on running videos during turns. It needs more rendering from the model, timing is critical and you need to fade from the video back to the still, but it works. And in any case, a lot of adventures are moving away from rotation these days.
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 05:23:37 PM »

In this post by bfg100 you can find the sources of a working first person node based 360 project. From what I understand he uses the same method darkfall lost souls is using which is the inside of a 3D model with textures as a scene.
fl*p

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 23 queries.