Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Advice about usage feature(s)?  (Read 7034 times)

NegativeChaos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Advice about usage feature(s)?
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:10 AM »

Hey, new to using WME and before I get to in-depth with the project I have laid out before me I want to know about using WME for real-time "battles". I assume it is possible as through my searching of this forum and the Wiki, I found one post about a guy doing it. But no real documentation on how. Perhaps I just missed it.

If anyone knows, can you help, or point me to the documentation about it? Please?

I want to be able to utilize "hidden" stats and "known" stats for the battles and the player will have these stats effected based on results of the battle. At this point I am not opposed to turn based battles (like Final Fantasy VII, for example) or real time battles (like silent hill, for example) but the end result is the player stats (experience, strength, hit points, etc) grow with winning.

This IS possible with WME, right?

I have only ever built games in Flash, but I wanted to try WME as the packaging seems better suited for my end goals. Any and all advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice about usage feature(s)?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »

Stats is the easy part of what you want to do. It just requires simple scripting. Fighting is possible but that's not why wme was designed for so it will be more difficult. For example it doesn't have collision detection for the characters so you'll have to fake it yourself through scripting & regions.
fl*p

NegativeChaos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:24:47 AM »

Thanks for that. I will read up more on regions and see if this is what I want to use for this project.  ::thumbup

anarchist

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:42:31 PM »

If you go for turn based combat like FFVII it will be quite easy. Storing character stats will be a trivial task after you learn WME scripting and combat is I believe simple to implement as long as it is turn-based.

Personally I would not use WME for real-time combat. As odnorf said, collision detection and generally physics are not features of WME. For this type of battle I would recommend that you look for alternatives.

I don't think there is any WME documentation regarding RPG-style games. For sources, you can go to http://res.dead-code.org/doku.php/ and check out the online documentation (there is a nice tutorial there) and the book by Metamorphium (which also has a nice and more extended tutorial).

NegativeChaos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 07:42:13 AM »

Thank you anarchist. I have searched the Wiki thoroughly and read the e-book as well. I do like the features of WME, I just don't think it will fit what I need here. So, instead I bought Adobe CS6 and will continue coding in Flash. Epic RPG program decided.. now to waste the next 5+ years of my life's free time. Here we go.... :)

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »

I doubt there will be much support for flash as today because of HTML5, even Adobe himself will focus on HTML5, so I don't thinks thats the right direction. Except you want to make a stand-alone software, that could work...If windows 10 will support that in 5 years ;)

NegativeChaos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 12:33:26 AM »

I am not sure what you are meaning by that. I hand code in HTML 5 and have since it was released. I also use CSS3 and have written adaption scripts in and for Flash for multi-browser support. Flash will always be around, It isn't going anywhere. And yes, when I release the game it will most likely be in a Flex stand alone package.

HTML 5 supports all manner of Flash, so does 4.01, everything from the current Flash Player (11.0.1.1) all the way back to Flash Player 2. So.. I fail to see the problem. :)

anarchist

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »

I believe Spellbreaker is talking about rumours/predictions about the future that are discussed over the Internet. I have heard such rumours/predictions in my workplace (I work as a programmer in a company where almost everyone is technically savvy) that Flash will become obsolete in the near future.

What I do know is that Flash suffered a very big hit when Apple refused to support it. On the other hand I know that many indie game developers use Flash, the best examample of which is Amanita, who have created some of the most artisticly beautiful games ever using Flash (check Machinarium and Botanicula).

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »

Exactly what anarchist said. Of course that only counts for browser-based application, not if you compile a stand alone package :)

NegativeChaos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 11:48:25 PM »

Yes, but that is currently only for Apple's touch devices (iPhone, iPad..) Apple has NEVER supported Flash except on Macs. Jobs said he won't support it until it stops crashing Macs. I say.. build a better Mac platform that wont crash on 38% CPU usage. PhotoShop and The GIMP both crash Macs.  ::slug

This hasn't caused a downfall to Flash in anyway, ever. In fact the over all reach for Flash, including Apple products is still over 97% for versions 4 - 9, which is up to 10% higher than even JavaScript reach. See Here As well, you can also export to Adobe Air or Flex and still reach the i-Series devices.

Flash is run on everything else, much like Java, and is now even in car HUDs and Marquee signs on roadways. No, I feel Flash will be around for quite a while.  ::rock

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 24 queries.