Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: WME 1.8 keeps crashing  (Read 2559 times)

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
WME 1.8 keeps crashing
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:58:08 AM »

Hi

I have been working on the previous version of WME with no crashing problems but having downloaded version 1.8, it has started crashing and giving the following error report "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, Runtime Error! This application has required the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information".

All I'm trying to do when it crashes is load a sprite in SceneEdit which I've already saved in the a file in the game I'm creating. I'm using Vista. Is it me, or has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: WME 1.8 keeps crashing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:09:46 PM »

So you're getting the error in SceneEdit only?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:22:30 PM »

Also, what WME version were you using before upgrading to 1.8? The 1.7.x series or 1.8 beta?

Could you please describe step-by-step what you did to get the error? Also, does it crash always or randomly, does it crash for one particluar sprite/image, or any of them?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:55:38 PM by Mnemonic »
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 06:14:21 PM »

Hi

Thanks for your very prompt reply - I didn't expect to hear from you so soon so I'm afraid I didn't check the forum until now.

I've discovered the problem which was that the graphic that I was trying to import into the scene was not a png but another type of file that sometimes accompanies pngs that my brother sends me for the game (he uses a Mac and I think they are some sort of thumbnail of the graphic). I had somehow managed to save the thumbnail rather than the proper png. For some reason though, WME didn't like the file type so much that it crashed the program rather than just refusing to load the graphic.

Just in case you are still interested though, the previous version I was using was 1.7.003 but I assume it could be a universal reaction to the type of file I was attempting to load. I've now loaded the png successfully and have no further problems.

Thanks again for your speedy response.
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 06:29:32 PM »

Ah, good, thanks for the info :) After doing some research I was suspecting it would be caused either by the png or jpg loading code.

Bottom line, just for the record, if anyone's interested (perhaps finding this thread via google), the above message is displayed when the application calls the abort() C function. libjpeg and libpng can call the abort() function when encountering a fatal error, caused perhaps by a corrupted or other malformed image.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.