Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Colors On Canvas  (Read 20039 times)

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
  • Currently working on Colors on Canvas
    • View Profile
Colors On Canvas
« on: August 29, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »

Hi!

I am a fan of adventure games and I am working on my own game, thanks to the Wintermute Engine. I've always wanted to design and develop games, so I decided to try and learn Wintermute. Colors on Canvas is my first game and while developing this game I am also learning Wintermute.

Colors on Canvas is a bit more atypical than your traditional adventure game, mostly because it isn't exactly an adventure game :) It is first and foremost an educational game.

Colors on canvas is a game that allows you to explore a few famous paintings (all of them from public domain). It is an educational game, but I will also try to implement some gameplay elements. For now, I only have a screenshot, but more screenshots and details will come soon!

Get the demo on itch.io: http://mihaipuiucernea.itch.io/colors-on-canvas

I hope this project won't take long to complete and I hope you will enjoy it!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:55:23 AM by mihaipuiucernea »

molier

• molier-artstudo.ucoz.ru
  • Occasional poster
  • мы любим
    • View Profile
    • http://molier-artstudo.ucoz.ru
Re: Colors On Canvas
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »

Looking forward to the game !!!  ::rock

piere

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • Sorry for any bad english in my posts. Game on !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:40:36 PM »

Cool ! got a playable demo, or a gameplay video ?

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:09:49 PM »

I will release a playable demo, and more info about the game, in a week or two.

Thorn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 10:48:59 AM »

Good luck, it seems to be a huge work !

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:48:27 PM »

A little bit more info. I would like to explain the three game modes.

First there is the 'Analysis & Interpretation' game mode. In this mode, you will examine various elements from the painting and you will receive a description that will represent an analysis of each particular element from the painting. These descriptions could be related to the painter's style or to the story depicted in the painting, etc. In this game mode you can also simply enjoy the paintings while you explore/examine it.
Once all of the important elements are examined, you will be asked to tweet your interpretation of the painting. This will be used in the 'Guess the Painting' mode.

The second game mode is 'Test Your Knowledge' and as its name implies, it will put your knowledge of famous paintings to the test. This game mode is very similar to hidden objects games, in that each painting has added (or missing) elements that you will have to spot.

The last game mode is 'Guess the Painting'. In this mode I will take people's interpretation (which they tweeted using the ColorsOnCanvas hashtag) but I will also add some myself and from them, the game will randomly choose one and show it to you. You will then have to guess the painting that matches the interpretation/description. I might implement a score system, depending on how many times you guess/fail to guess.

I will soon release a short demo featuring a beta of the 'Analysis & Interpretation' game mode of Paolo Uccello's Saint George and the Dragon. You can also reach me on twitter: https://twitter.com/mihaipuiucernea

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 12:42:59 AM »

Hi guys,

I published a small demo on GameJolt: http://gamejolt.com/games/other/colors-on-canvas/35768/

Please try it and rate it. It's just a painting and a single game mode; also no soundscape and music yet. I would love to hear what you think about it. Thanks!

Edit: I had to re-upload the game. The first build had a bug that made it impossible to play. Now it's working.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:07:17 PM by mihaipuiucernea »

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »

Hi guys,

I've launched an Epocu campaign for Colors on Canvas: http://epocu.com/campaigns/colors-canvas/

Epocu is an easy and free way to hype upcoming games and I hope I can generate some hype this way, even though educational games aren't exactly in the top of gamers' preferences. Please support if you can, it won't cost you anything. On the Epocu page there is also a link to the pre-alpha build (the same link as in my previous post) if you didn't test it yet.

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 05:47:13 PM »

The game has a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ColorsOnCanvasGame
If you like the concept and are interested, I would appreciate it if you like the page and help spread the word.

Thank you!

p!dexp

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 08:19:03 PM »

Hi mihaipuiucerbea

Thanks for the posting on your learning game. I will certainly have a look at it.

I am an instructional designer looking at game engines to create "learning" games as well. I recently developed a simple demo fishing "game" (not a learning title, just practice!) in an e-learning authoring tool. I want to develop a "battleship" type game to get some practice with the game development tools and then go on to build an adventure game. I like the Myst series adventure games and would like to build something with that look and feel. Hoping Wintermute will turn out to be a useful tool.

My fishing game is in Flash format as well as HTML5 for mobile. Here are the links to that game if anyone is interested.

Flash

http://www.blackdoglearning.com/examples/Storyline_Fishinggame2/story.html

HTML5 mobile

http://www.blackdoglearning.com/examples/Storyline_Fishinggame2/story_html5.html

Cheers!

p!dexp

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 12:07:06 AM »

Hi guys,

A small update: I've released a new demo on itch.io. You can download it here: http://mihaipuiucernea.itch.io/colors-on-canvas.

This demo includes a new game mode, which is basically a jigsaw puzzle. The painting is broken into 35 puzzle pieces. You will have to assemble the pieces in order to form the painting. I am thinking about adding a score system in the future, so feedback is appreciated.

I will add features and new paintings in time, but progress will be slow as I am working on this in my free time.
I am also considering writing how I made the jigsaw puzzle, if anyone is interested. Though, tbh, my implementation is a bit messy and most of you would probably manage more elegant implementations.

In any case, I'd love to hear impressions on the new game mode.

valter.home

• Supporter
  • Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 09:57:24 AM »

Hi,
I like it.
If you later want to post the code I'd love to watch it.
An observation, when you exit the puzzle, menu is no longer visible and you must close the game and restart it.
Also it would be nice that when a piece is properly inserted it is automatically aligned with each other and possibly we can then move the entire group at once.
Thank you

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 02:56:06 AM »

The menu is still there, even after you exit puzzle mode - you have to press ESC to bring up the menu, in the scene with the gallery (the initial scene). I should've made that more clear.

mihaipuiucernea

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 07:43:34 AM »

Hi guys. I've recently resumed work on this project.
I'm wondering if anyone would like to test the game. I'm looking for bugs, feedback and everything that may help.

I'll have a test build available soonish and I'll send keys on itch.io to everyone that would like to help me test it or offer feedback.
Thanks.

Mot

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 09:24:20 PM »

Hi mihaipuiucernea :)

It sounds great! Sure, I would like to test your game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:31:51 PM by Mot »

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.