Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Character Stats?  (Read 2629 times)

Maltese

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Character Stats?
« on: September 01, 2008, 03:58:33 AM »

Okay, so I'm toying with the idea of working on an adventure game/rpg hybrid on the wintermute engine. I want the player, at the start of the game to create his character. He will do that by choosing attributes and skills ( strenght/intelligence etc, Diplomacy, thievery, yada, yada). Those attributes and skills will play a part in the game altering the choices of the player and the sucess of his actions.

So, I understand I must set these attributes as variables. Sounds simple enough. But I'm confused as to where should I start regarding the character creation screen and allowing the player to set these attributes through a menu. Any tips? perhaps something similar was already done on wintermute?

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
Re: Character Stats?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »

simpliest way is to create a "scene" for the creation screen. Then you can do some clickable objects like + and - for example for changing the attributes. In the script you can then increas or decrease these values, and store them in a global array, "attributes" would be a good name :)

It will be saved automatically for load/savegame

Maltese

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Character Stats?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »

Many thanks. Is there really no source project around that does it? I would be better set with some clear example ( I'm far from a  skilled programmer).

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.