Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: light map  (Read 5802 times)

Shagma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
light map
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:37:17 PM »

Hi!
I'm in the process of making my first 2.5D scene. It's almost ready but I still can't find a way to make an effect which would really strengthen the integration of my 3d character and the overall look of the scene. The scene occurs in a cavern very deep down the ocean which is protected from the sea by a gigantic glass. The movement of the water outside changes the lighting of the whole cavern constantly (like pool reflections on a wall) and I've done that in my pre-rendered 3d background (theora video), but what I wanted was to have the character also affected by this light changes, like some parts of the body recieve more lighting than others in a random way. In order to achieve that effect in the pre-rendered background, I basically used a light source mapped with an animated noise effect in 3d max (projector map option), and I was wandering if there is a way to do something similar to the light affecting the character. I've thought of a projector map, or several small light sources, or maybe an animated texture for my character, but maybe one of you knows the best way to do it.
Thank you very much!

Shagma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: light map
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:07:40 AM »

nobody can help me with this? :(
I just want to have parts of the character recieving more light than others, hopefully with movement of the light over him. Is this possible?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: light map
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:05:08 AM »

There are no lightmaps in WME. You can use normal lights, you can use animated textures (or even video textures) and you can overlay parts of the scene with a semi-transparent image with alpha channel. I don't think anyone but you can tell which will work best in your case.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.