Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Guess the demographic ...  (Read 8343 times)

haroldw

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Guess the demographic ...
« on: October 01, 2015, 03:55:58 AM »

hello all, newbie here.   couple of questions.
  1)  pick any ( or a couple of) Wintermute games and try to guess which demographic you think
      it was most successful in and why ??
      I pick the Art of Murder (City Interactive) - even though it has a female lead I think because it has an action feel
                                 to it,  Males over 25 might be their demographic.

Lost Crown (by Darkling Room) -  definitely a cult following AND I would guess female under 30
                                  (having a Ouija board in a game is a sure winner for a cult following  !! )

2) Do you think it's possible to hold the audience attention in an adventure game,  that does not involve a dead person.

I don't believe it's possible.   Even when I play adventure games, if it doesn't  involve someone dying I will probably lose   
     interest.       I use to try and convince myself that a happy go lucky game full of cotton candy and buttery popcorn
     would hold my interest - it won't.
a point and click <a href="http://www.hdigames4learning.org/" target="_blank">adventure game[/url] I wrote. 
It's a mixture of Drama and Dark fantasy,  set in a small town.

Mot

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
Re: Guess the demographic ...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »

I pick 'Bickadoodle' and my guess regarding its audience is those who like stories such as the legend of King Arthur.

Do you think it's possible to hold the audience attention in an adventure game,  that does not involve a dead person?

I guess it depends on the audience.

In any case, there are other motivations other than what you mentioned. For instance, uncovering a mystery, the supernatural, the unknown (especially something not expected), being amused, being involved romantically with someone, ...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:42:04 AM by Mot »

piere

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
  • Sorry for any bad english in my posts. Game on !
    • View Profile
Re: Guess the demographic ...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:48:03 PM »

If you use Resource Hacker, you can change the values in the EXE to reflect your game name in the title bar. I've done it on a few games I made and it works perfectly.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.