Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Dead City  (Read 23994 times)

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Dead City
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 10:51:01 PM »

And bad quality (in your eyes) is a poor excuse to be rude ;) You are not forced to like the game, sure. You can criticise it, no problem. But be constructive and mind your manners. Statements like "it made me want to vomit" are awful.   

Uncommon

• Lurker
  • Writer/Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 11:04:46 PM »

But candy-coated crits are worse. :D
That is literally how it made me feel, and people need honest criticisms.  No one needs a bunch of sycophants.
And I don't mind being the lone dissenter.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 11:32:26 PM »

But candy-coated crits are worse. :D
That is literally how it made me feel, and people need honest criticisms.  No one needs a bunch of sycophants.
And I don't mind being the lone dissenter.
Just because you didn't like the game doesn't mean everyone who did is a sycophant. Ok, you can say we are biased here, since the author is part of the WME community (more or less), but do you think all those folks who signed his guestbook would do so if they didn't really like the game? I don't think so.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game, it caught me right from the start, and it perfectly fits the style I prefer. I can't say that about many other amateur games, unfortunately. I can understand not everyone likes this kind of game, but that's only a matter of personal prefrences, not some objective error at author's side, IMHO.
Oh, and the bad grammar would be my fault, because I was the one who translated the game into english.

btw would you mind telling us which amateur games you *do* like?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 11:50:39 PM »

Yep, honest criticism is the way, agreed. But nevertheless you don't need to go over the top. Of course there was no need to vomit. And there is no need to express yourself this way. You show no respect to the work someone had. You wouldn't feel happy if someone insult your work in that way, right?
Be honest, but don't insult. Better, try to be constructive. Your argument is someone needs honest criticism - i guess so he can learn, try to be better? He won't learn a thing from your contribution.

"The game is one of the worst amateur adventures i played" < - > "it made me want to vomit"   
This sentence is honest and may be bitter, but its better than yours. You see the difference?

And it has nothing to do with being the lone wolf. You should think about arguments and act accordingly. Don't swim with the stream, but neither against it, if it is just for that reason alone. So dont even mention it ;)

Reading about sycophants i hope this wasnt meant to be a rhetorical element to insult us ;)

Erm, long contribution... sorry for contributing to highjack this thread.  ::hijack 

Uncommon

• Lurker
  • Writer/Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 11:59:01 PM »

I'd call technical errors like poor storytelling rather objective, actually. :/
It wasn't anything about the style that I didn't like so much as weak execution.
If you want to see a good amateur game, try Ben Croshaw's 5 Days a Stranger.

As for Johnny...
This isn't me going over the top, this is me being honest.  I don't mind harsh crits.  I'm not insulting, just saying what I thought of it.  I happen to have a naturally brutal honesty.
Also, I wasn't talking about the game in general, I was specifically talking about the dialogue.
I think it's funny that no one said anything to the guy who said the first five minutes made him want to committ suicide.  That was bashing.  This is criticism.

Nihil

• Supporter
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Fear me! I'm evil!
    • View Profile
    • Order of Dagon
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 12:21:47 AM »

A game that makes you want to commit suicide must have a strong storytelling.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 10:02:06 AM »

Yeah, to get the feeling to commit suicide is one of the best compliments I could think of regarding the genre of that game. :)

I still love it, mainstream sucks. (Why the f*** am I planning a mainstream game then? Am I crazy? Ok, I am, but anyway... darn, I feel like... I should replay TDC now! ;))

Peace, guys!  8)
Mooh!

Igorrr

• Regular poster
  • Ugh...Ughugh!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Struggle For Life And Honour
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 05:46:04 PM »

This brutal honesty thing really makes me curious.

@Uncommon: Did you honestly sit in fron of your computer, tried out the game and started planning to get a bucket fast in case you can't hold it in anymore?
I mean hey, I see that you did not like the game at all, but if bad games make you get the wish to puke (even if it was a completely free game with no expenses from your side)
then you truly have a very fragile stomach.
Seriously, I can surely say about most people here, that bad games never had any influence on any body functions.
So can you honestly say that your statement was honest?

Uncommon

• Lurker
  • Writer/Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2004, 09:42:59 PM »

Another amateur game with great storytelling that is free: ClanA's City of Dreams.

You guys are missing the point of what I said.  I didn't say the game made me want to vomit.  I was talking specifically about the dialogue.  Particularly the scene with the guy talking to his girlfriends ghost.  The dialogue was very, very, very, very, very, very, BAD.

EDIT: NOTABLE QUOTE FROM NiHiLiS' SITE, THE Dead City DOWNLOAD PAGE, EVEN: "Several megabytes containing slighty moronic, pseudo-philosophical texts, depressive moody graphics and an ambient melancholic music, an absurd story and primitive puzzles."
Somebody out there likes me.  I'm just gonna write a full-on review for you guys now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 09:59:24 PM by Uncommon »

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2004, 10:30:27 PM »

You miss the point of what we are saying for sure  :P ;)

I didn't say the game made me want to vomit.  I was talking specifically about the dialogue.
That isn't important, we didn't talk about that aspect... it's about you speaking tartly ;)

This isn't me going over the top, this is me being honest.  I don't mind harsh crits.  I'm not insulting, just saying what I thought of it.  I happen to have a naturally brutal honesty.
You seem to be proud of being rude, fine. And you dont want to see you are not honest. You have a way too high opinion of yourself. It is not honest that you wanted to vomit, is it? Ask yourself, why did you choose this expression? There is a difference between exaggeration and honesty. I guess it couldnt be so difficult to write: "the dialogue was bad, because of...?" And after all its a differece if the author himself is modest and describes his work in a way he wants to. He has the right to insult himself ;) But i did say this before, so its hopeless. I will just drop out of this discussion and drink a nice beer instead  ::beer :D

ps: your nick doesn't suit you - your attitude is all-too common nowadays ;)

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 08:56:29 PM »

:)  :)  :)

well, well, well. Some time ago I thought that I know the world as well. I was 17 years old back then. Then it changed. I have 2 children I am playing lots and lots of concerts, meeting lots of persons and I lost my *strong self-certainty* I had back then.

@ our uncommon friend: This is not the way how someone hires you as a writer, if this is what you are looking for here. To start with trashing everyone's work just to show that you are better simply doesn't work. But you can be always critic. There is plenty of them and usually guys, who are not able to do anything by themselves. It'd be more fun, if you showed us some of your writings / work. I'd definitely love to read work of someone, who has such a strong sense of quality. What really worries me is that you signed for WME forum, just to trash one game. It looks like a terrible waste of time to me but than I am a busy person after all.  ;)

@ everyone: It's very easy to have a bucket full of ideas. It's very hard to bring them alive. I really like WME forums because people who are able to do something are usually more focused and I found it here very stimulating environment for my own game. I don't like gaming websites that much because every second average person claims there that he/she is creating much better game than Half Life 2 and that he will show us all. :)

::hijack

PS. @ Uncommon again: Yes we all do have bad english, we apologize. But we are able to communicate and we sometimes know german and french and spanish and italian as well (just to pick a few apart of our mother's tongue). In how many languages are you able to communicate. Is it only your *holy* english?  ;)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

deadworm222

• Regular poster
  • Wintermute Army
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2005, 10:34:49 PM »

EDIT: NOTABLE QUOTE FROM NiHiLiS' SITE, THE Dead City DOWNLOAD PAGE, EVEN: "Several megabytes containing slighty moronic, pseudo-philosophical texts, depressive moody graphics and an ambient melancholic music, an absurd story and primitive puzzles."
Somebody out there likes me.  I'm just gonna write a full-on review for you guys now.
Ahem. That text has been there from the beginning. It's NOT an attack at you.

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2005, 04:12:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.