Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: Russian Captions in Items.tems  (Read 3888 times)

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
Russian Captions in Items.tems
« on: May 07, 2009, 11:55:14 AM »

Hi all

We've nearly finished the Russian translation of 'Rhiannon' - now it's time to change the captions in items.items.

So we cut from the .doc that contains the translation - and paste into items.items being edited in Scite. And we get "??????? ??????? ????"

We thought of looking up "??????? ??????? ????" in the help files, but didn't expect to find anything  ;)

Can anybody advise how we get Russian captions into items.items?

Thanks
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Russian Captions in Items.tems
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »

You are not using string table? You should :)
Anyway, I believe if you save the file in UTF-8 format (use the Encoding command in File menu), it should help.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »

Hi Mnem

Just been experimenting with that.

Set up a string in string.tab called ITEMFDK001 with a tab and a string of Russian. Saved the string table in UTF-8 format in Notepad. Then in items.items had the line CAPTION = /ITEMFDK001/. To add belt to braces, added the line Game.TextEncoding = 1; to game.script.

Then we set the game to start where we pick up the front door key. Picked up the key - examined it in inventory and got, guess what, a string of question marks instead of the Russian caption.

What have I missed?

\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »

Are you using true type fonts? Do you have proper character for cyrilic set in the font definition?
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »

Thanks Mnemonic.

"have proper character for cyrilic set in the font definition?"

Just a few questions on that:
What and where is the font definition?
What is a proper character?
And is that "proper character for cyrillic set" or "set in the definition"?

Please explain as you would a child. I have no pride, only ignorance. Assume I know nothing and that your whole sentence, although consisting of English words looks to me like "oven-bottom tentpeg orienteer upside pink classify" :)

Cheers

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »

Actually it was a typo, I meant to say "proper character set for cyrillic" :) Anyway...

Fonts are defined by .font files. Font files for TrueType fonts look like this:

Code: [Select]
TTFONT
{
  SIZE = 12 
  FACE = "Arial"
  FILENAME = "fonts\arial.ttf"

BOLD = TRUE
  ITALIC = FALSE
  UNDERLINE = FALSE
  STRIKE = FALSE

CHARSET = 1

COLOR { 255, 0, 0 }
  ALPHA = 255
}

The CHARSET line defines the character set to be used. For cyrillic it should be 10 (there is a table of character sets and their numbers in the documentation). And of course, the TrueType font you're using must support cyrillic. Not all fonts support all character sets.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:45:43 PM by Mnemonic »

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:53:11 PM »

Yes we have one of those. It is Arial, we use it elsewhere in the game and AFAIK Arial supports Cyrillic (it seems to in MS Word). Its CHARSET was 1 so we changed it to 10. But what we still don't know is how to apply that font to the inventory captions. I've tried putting it in inventory.def, but let's face it, I'm guessing. What does the inventory window refer to when it wantts to know what font to use for captions?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 03:00:31 PM »

If you are using the default project layout (the one WME demo and the project template use), all the captions are displayed using "interface\system\caption.window".

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 03:18:25 PM »

YES!

Thanks Mnem!

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.