Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Deathgate  (Read 7529 times)

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
Deathgate
« on: June 13, 2004, 05:04:21 PM »

I just finished deathgate, and im so impressed, i dont know what to say...

Its a first-person adventure from Legend Entertainment, based on a famous book (which i dont know ;)). I just love it... perfect riddles, beautiful voices, lots of animations (although you dont see the main character often), good story. Its so cleverly designed... awesome.

You have to read a lot...  you'll find several books, and most of the nsc-talk is rather long. I just say it because some people dont want to read a lot ;)

Graphics are very nice, lots of animations, its not an text adventure (although you have more than the usual verbs to build a comannd sentence).

You can download the cd version with voices from the underdog. Movies are missing, but i dont care about that, everything was in order, i didnt have the feeling that i have missed something. If you want to play a really good adventure, try it out! :)  Shannara is there also, its a beautiful adventure, too (full cd version available, woohoo). :)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 05:08:24 PM »

Legend has made MANY great first person adventure games (15-16, i can't remember exactly). I'd say that this company was the "King of first person adventures".

And those "abandonware" games are actually illegal to download! I know I'm paranoid  ;D
fl*p

Igorrr

• Regular poster
  • Ugh...Ughugh!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Struggle For Life And Honour
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 07:53:51 PM »

Some time ago I was at the underdog homepage, but you were not able to download it then. I really enjoyed playing Shannara and have the original somewhere at my parents place (well quasi original, came with a magazine many years ago).

Of course technically speaking abandonwarez are warez and are illegal, but how do you want to get those old games if you cannot buy them anymore. Home of the Underdogs is not a hidden warez page and I am sure all companies are aware of its presence. If games are still able to be bought they also tell you where instead of hosting a download. When LucasArts and EA complained they removed the downloads. But you can still get the CD Version of LOOM there ;-).
Practically speaking it's a grey zone. Few companies really bothered when those games where not in the stores anymore, anyway.

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 08:36:11 AM »

I agree with you. That's why I used a big smile in my sentence above  ;)
fl*p

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 09:31:57 AM »

I really enjoyed playing Shannara and have the original somewhere at my parents place (well quasi original, came with a magazine many years ago).
Same here! :) I think it was the Gamestar, but not that sure. I played it several years ago.

Of course technically speaking abandonwarez are warez and are illegal, but how do you want to get those old games if you cannot buy them anymore. Home of the Underdogs is not a hidden warez page and I am sure all companies are aware of its presence. If games are still able to be bought they also tell you where instead of hosting a download. When LucasArts and EA complained they removed the downloads. But you can still get the CD Version of LOOM there ;-).
Practically speaking it's a grey zone. Few companies really bothered when those games where not in the stores anymore, anyway.
Full ack! I thought it was legal to download these things, but after Odnorfs remark i read the faq on their site. They say themself its illegal, but after all the copyright issues they had, i guess they just host things which no one cares about. Seems to me that lots of companies agree silently. Else they would have sued them a long time ago.

Yeah, that cd rom version of loom is very nice (although i did follow all the instructions and got wrong voices, arg, even using that burn program). And you wont find the original floppy version because you can buy that even today...  would be obvious illegal to host this.

So, try Deathgate if you are into fantastic first-person legend adventures - its one of my favourite adventures of all time. You wont believe how great the riddles are ;D 

toxicTom

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Vault 13
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 10:28:34 PM »

100% Ack.

Death Gate is the best adventure I've ever played. (I still have to try Timequest and Eric the Unready I got from a second hand shop.) The riddles are the most logical I ever encountered. I didn't have the urge to look into a walkthrough one time - because I always *knew* there is a solution right before me. I just would need to see it in my mind. Although the hardest riddle was the one with the dog and the antidote. I came upon the solution of this only after I found the right bottle by trial and error.
And me without a spoon...

gfx johnny

• Regular poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 12:51:34 AM »

Spoiler Warning! ;)

Oh yeah, this puzzle was so great! I was able to solve it when i recognized the time limit - i knew they would give you the chance to find the right bottle instead of guessing it. I was fortunate enough to read the description of the table cloth, and then i got it. It was really a great moment :) One of my favourite riddles. You have to think and to look :)

I had to spend a lot of time on the zombie/snake puzzle - that was logical and easy, but i took the grandma zombie on my ship tour and lost her (she died as was supposed by the necromancer), so i must confess i had to look into a solution for this one - one weak side of deathgate, there are some dead-ends, and you wont know it when you are there (for example, if you dont leave the elven ship in time at the beginning).

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.