Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Using Notepad++ with WME  (Read 15144 times)

greg

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Using Notepad++ with WME
« on: January 26, 2008, 04:42:30 PM »

This morning, I spent a couple hours configuring Notepad++ to work with WME.  I'm posting the instructions here so that others don't need to duplicate my effort.

ABOUT NOTEPAD++

Notepad++ is a free, powerful text editor available from http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm.  Compared to Crimson Editor (which I was using previously), here are its advantages and disadvantages.

Pros: You can rearrange tabs and collapse bracket pairs within a script.  It's open source and still being maintained.
Cons: You can't assign shortcut keys to user-defined commands (i.e. checking WME syntax).

CONFIGURING NOTEPAD++

The following instructions assume that Notepad++ is installed in C:\Program Files\Notepad++:

1. Console.  In C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins\Config\NppExec.ini, change "Visible=0" to "Visible=1".
 **This will cause the console to show automatically when you open Notepad++.

2. Highlighting and Formatting.  Select Settings > Styler Configurator.
  a. Select Enable Global Font and Enable Global Font Size.
  **This will cause Notepad++ to display the entire script (even comments) in the same-size fixed-width font.
  b. Under Language, select Java.  Add script to the User ext field.
  **This will cause Notepad++ to automatically highlight .script files as if they were written in Java.

3. Syntax checking.  In C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins\Config\npes_saved.txt, add the following:

Code: [Select]
::wme_check_syntax
"C:\Program Files\WME DevKit\wme_comp.exe" -project "C:\Program Files\WME DevKit\projects\[project]\[project].wpr" -script "$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)"

Where C:\Program Files\WME DevKit\projects\[project]\[project].wpr is the path to your WME project file.
 **Now, to check the syntax of a script, press F6, change the dropdown menu to wme_check_syntax, and press OK.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Using Notepad++ with WME
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 06:04:54 PM »

Thanks, greg. I just wanted to mention that the -project parameter is now optional. The script compiler tries to find the project automatically based on the script location (and usually succeeds :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »

Kind old thread but still relevant.

For syntax highlighting you can use this file I created today because I was bored.  ::slug ::beer Just unzip it in the settings folder of your notepad++ installation (it should be %appdata%\notepad++) and you'll have a "WME script" option in the language selection.
fl*p

Sothoth

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »

Kind old thread but still relevant.

For syntax highlighting you can use this file I created today because I was bored.  ::slug ::beer Just unzip it in the settings folder of your notepad++ installation (it should be %appdata%\notepad++) and you'll have a "WME script" option in the language selection.

Sorry for the thread archeology, but I'm interested in using Notepad++ with WME, and the above file isn't online anymore. Does anyone has a copy?

Thank you very much in advance!
Sorry for my poor English! :(

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »

I don't have that file anymore. :( But even if I had it it would be very outdated with lots of missing keywords.
fl*p

Sothoth

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »

I don't have that file anymore. :( But even if I had it it would be very outdated with lots of missing keywords.

Oh, nevermind... I'll continue with the old good SciTE ;).

Thank you very much, anyway!
Sorry for my poor English! :(

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.