Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Some feature suggestions  (Read 19440 times)

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
Re:Some feature suggestions
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2003, 12:37:37 PM »

People aren't rushing to buy the latest cutting edge anymore, I hope for the day when computer technology settles down a bit. But when 2.x gHz is available, a 400 mhz is getting a little *too* obsolete. I wouldn't want to go lower than that unless I was running linux.

About MOD / OGG files: C'mon people, value the fact that WME already has good audio format support, and instead just go searching for a (quote) nice MOD library without licensing problems if you really want Jan to implement it ;-P

I'm sure there's one at sourceforge somewhere... or listed in that FAQ somewhere... but I'm not a programmer and couldn't tell a GOOD library if it bit me. :P

No matter how long you think creating a game will take, it will take longer. A lot longer :P

Oy... you're telling me... my game was in the "brainstorming" phase for over a year... of course, I was homeless for about 6 months and decided to concentrate on my other projects, which didn't exactly help... But I said I would give people more assignments if they finished the ones they had... and I couldn't update the site so everything was by email, so the team thought the project had died even though I was definitely still working on the game, so they stopped working. :'(

A couple of those people are interested in re-joining now. ::) They had a whole EXTRA 6 months to get their assignments done, so too bad. Now that we're in pre-production, anyone who doesn't contribute actual work gets canned. Muahaha. ;D

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2003, 04:48:02 PM »

People aren't rushing to buy the latest cutting edge anymore,
They never did :)

But I'm not talking about cutting edge here. WME will do just fine on a TNT2. And, come on, Keith, that card *is* cheap, don't tell me it isn't! It has nothing to do with the "economy in a slump"...

Anyway, I believe we don't need to continue this "to accelerate or not to accelerate" discussion. I told you my vision, and I'm pleased I'm not the only one who thinks it's the right direction.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

How am I not respecting your decision?  I'm just voicing my opinion as well as praising your system.
Don't take it bad, it wasn't meant so. As you know, I'm not a native english speaker so sometimes my sentences do not turn out the way I wanted them to ;D

No matter how long you think creating a game will take, it will take longer. A lot longer :P
*sigh* How true... May I add it applies to game engines too ;)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2003, 06:49:05 PM »

You gotta admit though, a 2d adventure game shouldn't NEED a 3d card, i mean comon by it's very nature it's presented in 2d.

--------------------------------------------
Keith Weatherby II
uhfgood -AT- frontier -DOT- com
Games Afoot Software
Indie Flux - Previews, Reviews, News and more!

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2003, 08:00:23 PM »

A 3D card merely makes the use of some great graphical effects possible. Think of WME as more of a hybrid engine than a 2D engine. It's not full real-time rendered 3D, but it has capabilities that expand on 2D in all the right places. Actually, it's more of a "2D+" engine. ;)

I think Mnemonic is doing it just right.

The whole point of having more than one engine is that they do things differently. AGS might be better for your needs, but if so, ask Chris to add a few more gui things to the room-edit. *g*

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2003, 12:30:42 AM »

Yeah it's a hybrid now, but he says he's going to drop the non-3d accel'd part.

And AGS is slow as a slug, even WME is faster in software mode than ags is.

Chris said he asked the people in his forums whether they want speed optimizations or more features.  Guess what they answered? More features.

And most of them say the speed is fine for 320x200, however it's slow on that even sluggish on my Athlon 1.3ghz.

It appears alot of them would just rather keep adventure gaming in the hobbiest area, rather than commercial development.  But i'm making games to make money (well i like making games too but that's beside the point).

Besides WME is the best one out there so far, so even if I have to moan and groan because some people can't play my games, i'll probably use it.

Keith
Keith Weatherby II
uhfgood -AT- frontier -DOT- com
Games Afoot Software
Indie Flux - Previews, Reviews, News and more!

Banbury

• Lurker
  • I'm a llama! Mooh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2003, 08:06:29 AM »

Hi,
my problem with 3D acceleration is, that it looks really bad on my ATI card. I don't have the same problems in software mode, so without it I couldn't continue with WME :'(. My computer is a laptop, so I can't simply stick a new graphics card in.
Please, don't remove the software mode in version 1.

Greetings

Banbury

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2003, 08:30:44 AM »

People, don't panic!  ;D
As I said in my original post:

My long term plan is to drop the software renderer completely when the right time comes, I'm certainly not going to improve it.

It doesn't mean I'm gonna remove it tomorow. But you must expect the compatibility mode to be somewhat limited compared to the accele'd mode.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.