Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: option to not run game if files are open  (Read 6126 times)

joaomesq

• Teacher / Game Designer
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nó Górdio
option to not run game if files are open
« on: October 13, 2005, 11:04:14 AM »

I would like to make a suggestion: could it be possible to add an option on projectman to not the run the game if any project files are open?

I ask this because to work in WME I have on average 4 different programs running (projectman, scene editor, sprite editor and ultraedit) and it's not the first time I try some code, just to discover that it doesn't work because I closed the file on Ultraedit but didn't update the script on the Scene Editor.

If this option was on, projectman would not allow the game to be run forcing me to refresh all scenes and scripts first making sure that the code I'm testting is actually the one I want to test.
Crisis is just another word for opportunity

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: option to not run game if files are open
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 12:02:38 PM »

Hmm, but once te script is attached to the scene, saving it in UltraEdit should be enough, shouldn't it? Or what exactly do you mean by "refreshing" scenes?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

joaomesq

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nó Górdio
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 03:21:16 PM »

Well... not in my case.

Try this:

Open Scene Edit, add a node, attach the script to the node, make new script, open in Ultraedit, put the code, save and close Ultraedit. If you go immediatly to projectman and run the game, without saving and closing the Scene Edit the script is not compiled.

This thing happens to me a lot and a simple workaround to this problem is the projectman having an option not to run the game if any files on folder "Data" are open by other apps.

I would suggest it as an option because obviously it is something that is more connected to personal workflow and everybody has its own.

Mac

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 05:40:45 PM »

Of course you have to save your scene with your created nodes and the scripts linked to them at least once, because when you create a new script direcly in the scene edit, the script itself is physically written wehere it belongs, but the linking between the nodes and the scripts are written into the *.scene file itself, so it has to be saved from scene edit. It has nothing to do with any editors like UltraEdit.

Cheers
Mac

joaomesq

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nó Górdio
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 11:17:36 PM »

I know that and that is exactly my point.

The suggested option would assume that if there are any project files open don't run it, because most likely, you are not going to run the lastest version of your game.

In the case I described it would the error description could be something like this: "Cannot run because scene X is open in Scene Edit. close all files before running the game."

The scene closing would force the links on the .scene file to refresh to new .script file.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 11:48:26 AM »

The trouble is the tools are independent, so there's no (easy) way of telling if any documents are open and unsaved. Perhaps some option to "Save all" when project is run would be better? I think it would be possible for ProjectMan to broadcast a message to all SceneEdit/SpriteEdit instances, to save open documents, but if I'm not mistaken it will not work when some dialog box is currently open (which is this case, unfotunatelly...). I'll have to test it.

In any case, I'm gonna address this in the new toolset (tools are going to be integrated).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

joaomesq

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nó Górdio
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 02:44:38 PM »

Ok, looking forward to use the new toolset, then.

Thanks

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.