Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Problems with 3D actor  (Read 4641 times)

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Problems with 3D actor
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:30:50 AM »

Hi,

I've got a test model with a walking animation which works perfectly in Blender 2.5. The model looks smooth in Blender too. Now when I export it by using the new .x exporter the walking animation is insanely fast and i can see every face instead of a smooth surface even in the mesh viewer. Now when i check the AnimTicksPerSecond feature at the exporter the animation is shown properly in the mesh view, the mesh is still very edgy though and the animation doesn't work at all in the engine.
And finally how can I merge .x files to get multiple animations sets into one .x file?
Could you help me please, because I don't want to use 3ds max for this. And please no giyf posts because I've been googleing it for quite some time.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:52:22 AM by Serious.Ray »

Silverbristle

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Wisdomspiral
Re: Problems with 3D actor
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »

First I would like to say that there exist at least several .x exporters for blender. I can only guess what you mean when you say the new .x exporter?
(Some exporters have more problems than others.)

As for merging animations I do not think that is possible in the Wintermute engine. The way I do is is I export each animation as a seperate file from blender.
for example walk.x would be one animation and idle.x would be another.

It is totally possible to use blender to create wonderful 3d characters that work in the Wintermute engine. Some manual text editing of the .x file may
be required but it is doable I have made dozens of working 3d characters.

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 10:48:33 PM »

Oh that's good. Which exporter would you suggest for the Wintermute Engine, which one do you use? Or what text editing have you performed? I use this exporter: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/File_I-O/DirectX_Exporter.

Silverbristle

• Supporter
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Wisdomspiral
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 12:46:52 AM »

I keep several versions of blender on my computer because I use different plugin for various things.
I prefer this exporter its old and somewhat picky and can take a while to export.
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/glabro1/

Be aware this exporter is very picky and it is best if your mesh is just one part.
I have problems if I try to use a mesh where the hair and shoes are a separate mesh.

Blender can be picky and new versions of Blender are coming out all the time. An exporter
can fail because of something as simple as an umlaut in the script. ;)

As for exporting a .x file See this tutorial it will detail what script changes will need
to be made to a .x file.
http://www.wisdomspiral.com/tutorial_export_3d_into_game_engines.html

If the file exported fine but does not work in the game engine I often find one of the main causes is
that I have not done the weight painting correctly and have missed a part of the mesh.

I hope this helps you.

Serious.Ray

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 08:48:19 PM »

Thanks a lot so far, now that's something to start with ^^. I'll check this out and let you know what my results are.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.