Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: CeltX Media pre-production tool  (Read 6711 times)

HelLRaiseR

• I don't want to make a Monkey Island clone :(
  • Wiki editor
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Box Studios
CeltX Media pre-production tool
« on: May 07, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »

As says in the website http://www.celtx.com :

Celtx is the world's first all-in-one media pre-production software. It has everything you need to take your story from concept to production. Celtx replaces 'paper, pen & binder' pre-production with a digital approach that's more complete, simpler to work with, and easier to share.

Nothing more to add. Very good tool.
Regards,

Fernando

Darky

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Spreadcamp
Re: CeltX Media pre-production tool
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »

I used CeltX a while ago. It's really a great tool, but what I did not like is that I could not share my transcript with others that don't have the CeltX software. My version is a whole lot older than the latest version but it was not possible to export your document in anything else but HTML and some other thing. What I'd have needed was an option to export it into a file format that can be read and edited easily by anyone in such widespread software as MS Word. Also if you'd write something for serious business and want to send out CDs instead of prints, it would be a great thing to have such an export option.

Therefore I have not been using CeltX since a while, but I was unable to find a good alternative (I did not look too hard for it). I guess its only a good thing for beginners to start out and for the collaboration possibilities CeltX offers with their web / online sharing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:50:11 PM by Darky »

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »

Sure you can't export the Celtx stuff because of all the Crosslinks for Characters and stuff. The Software is not big so it's no problem to share it with others.

I like the Software very much, I just found it some weeks ago, and its great for Games/Movies/Comics etc....

Does anyone know a helper Software for Writing Books? A friend of mine is Author and asked for a Software for writing books which automatically records Character appearances, possibilty to create notes for characters, places, scenes etc...

Is that possible with Celtx too?

Greetings,

Spellbreaker.

HelLRaiseR

• I don't want to make a Monkey Island clone :(
  • Wiki editor
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Box Studios
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »

Yes, It's possible. One of the uses of the CeltX is for writting theatre screenplays. CeltX provides several tool for check the screenplay like: dialogs for every actor, scenes by actor, actors in scene, etc.
Regards,

Fernando

Darky

• Supporter
  • Regular poster
    • View Profile
    • Spreadcamp
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 03:45:47 PM »

Sure you can't export the Celtx stuff because of all the Crosslinks for Characters and stuff. The Software is not big so it's no problem to share it with others.

I don't know about the other document types but I was writing parts of a Screenplay within CeltX. Please note again that I have an older version of it. The Crosslinks are not really present in the actual Text of an Screenplay. I'd be interested in exporting just the Texts itself for a popular software as MS Word with proper formats. The only workaround you have for that is to export it as HTML or TXT - either way if you try to insert it in Word again, your formatting is lost and has to be redone with quiet some effort depending on the length of your Screenplay.

I think it's a case of what you need the software for. If you write your game script or something with it just for internal team usage, then it's no big deal for anyone to install. If you however write something that you want get published like a book (that you can't write properly with CeltX anyway) or worked with from like a screenplay, the guys at the company you sent it to certainly won't install an extra software just for you. You'd have to hope they are modern enough to have CeltX already installed. You could of course just print your text from CeltX and send those prints, but I am assuming the usual case of "low budget" where you don't have the money to print countless copys of the script by yourself, the case where the money just is enough to print them out your Exposé.

It depends form case to case, really. But in general, CeltX is a nice software, yes.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.