Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum rules - please read before posting, it can save you a lot of time.

Author Topic: Dynamic shadows  (Read 6879 times)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Dynamic shadows
« on: April 30, 2003, 03:46:39 PM »

This is another difficult feature but it just came to my mind and I thought of sharing it with you. It would be great to be able put in my scene a source of light (sun or anything else) and the engine automatically creates a dynamic shadow of the character(s). I know that this feature needs a lot of work but I think it would be great. Of course there are a lot of problems. The engine needs to have a 3D approach to the 2D background for this! It should have some information concerning the dimension of the room. Like putting some spots here and there in the scene editor and say that this spot has 3D coordinates of (300, 200, 550). And ofcourse there is the thing with the perspective. It wiil not be enought to determine a few spots (in the floor, on the walls, and on items) and the engine finds the rest. We should give the engine information about the perspective too.

check this image too :
http://master.math.upatras.gr/~odnorf/shadows.png

It's a different approach. I have created a perspective 3D cube in my scene and with the use of a spot of the light source it would make this simpler (It's not very accurate with very small objects.)

Now that I am thinking of it... maybe it's not possible... I don't know... Can you mnemonic think of an easier way?

EDIT: Why do I have a feeling that I said something impossible and stupid?  :-[
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 04:45:13 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Re:Dynamic shadows
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 05:00:51 PM »

*woah* i even wouldn't know how to teach PhotoShop to create Shadows THAT way! i'd guess it's impossible to calculate correctly, isn't it ?

I would create 3-4 versions of my character with different shadows (if I weren't that lazy!). But I'm curious to read what Mnemonic writes about the possibility... :)
Mooh!

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 05:14:58 PM »

*woah* i even wouldn't know how to teach PhotoShop to create Shadows THAT way! i'd guess it's impossible to calculate correctly, isn't it ?

Well... I wasn't talking about 2D shadows but 3D rendered... If you have a 3D enviroment and a light spot then the shadows will be easy to created in 3D. The problem here is the "3D enviroment. It would require a new tool in which by using simple 3D items (cubes, spheres etc) over your 2D image it would generate a simple 3D model of your 2D scene. It can be done (actually it's a known 3D technic and there are programs that are capable of doing this) but as I said it's a complete new tool and it would take a lot of time.

I would create 3-4 versions of my character with different shadows (if I weren't that lazy!). But I'm curious to read what Mnemonic writes about the possibility...

This is what I am going to do too. But I really want to read what Mnemonic has to say to all of this... :)
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 07:54:37 PM »

Yes, to make the shadows really accurate, you'd need that hidden 3D model of the scene, so that you'd have *something* to project the shadow onto. Actually, the WME 3D characters demo uses this approach too. There is a simple 3D model of the scene (in .3DS format) and the 3D characters are walking inside that model.
But to be honest, if I'd took the effort to make that 3D model work (again), I'd probably use it for much more interesting things than just the real shadows ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 07:55:10 PM by Mnemonic »
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 10:30:29 PM »

But to be honest, if I'd took the effort to make that 3D model work (again), I'd probably use it for much more interesting things than just the real shadows ;)

Does this mean that you will try to make the 3D model work again in the not so far (years) future? Except, 3D characters, objects, real time shadows & lights (which I find realy cool) for what else could this be usefull?

If you make this happen then I will sure start learning 3D...

And it would be a good idea to use some more generic format. Isn't .3ds files the native format of 3D studio?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 10:34:43 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 12:16:17 PM »

Does this mean that you will try to make the 3D model work again in the not so far (years) future?
IMHO 3D is the way to go, sooner or later, so the answer to your question is: yes, absolutely. Can't say when, though, 'coz I don't know.

Except, 3D characters, objects, real time shadows & lights (which I find realy cool) for what else could this be usefull?
Isn't that enough? ;)

And it would be a good idea to use some more generic format. Isn't .3ds files the native format of 3D studio?
Well, can you recommend any format? I thought the .3ds format was pretty generic nowadays. Although it's originally a native format of the (DOS) 3d studio, it's well documented now, and there are libraries simplifying the work with it.
And I used the MilkShape 3D format for the 3D characters.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 12:54:23 PM »

Except, 3D characters, objects, real time shadows & lights (which I find realy cool) for what else could this be usefull?
Isn't that enough? ;)

Well, you said "much more interesting things" and I thought that maybe you had something else in your mind :)

Well, can you recommend any format?

Sorry, I can't. I am not a 3D expert. But I'll ask one of my friends who is... But maybe I was overreacting about the "more generic format". I guess it's a generic format nowdays.
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 04:11:26 PM »

Well, you said "much more interesting things" and I thought that maybe you had something else in your mind :)
Ugh, sorry, I only had the 3D actors on my mind :-)

Sorry, I can't. I am not a 3D expert. But I'll ask one of my friends who is... But maybe I was overreacting about the "more generic format". I guess it's a generic format nowdays.
I believe this format is very suitable for static geometry. But it's almost useless for skeletal animation, or example. BTW even the original Hidden&Dangerous game used the 3ds format for everything.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.