Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: My first mod music!  (Read 14209 times)

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
My first mod music!
« on: February 28, 2003, 07:39:31 AM »

I'm just posting it in ogg format because it's smaller that way... 0.99 MB is better than 3.25 MB anyday.

Festive Harp.

As I said in the other thread, this was made in MPTrack and the samples I used aren't that great. However, once I put better samples into the file and rearrange a few things I'll definitely be using this composition in my game.

So, let me know what you think. One friend told me it sounds SNES, I'm hoping that was even partly a compliment. ;D

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
Re:My first mod music!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 01:33:19 AM »

The download problem is fixed ;D, in case that's why I have no comments. :'(

The free host goes down a lot, too. So if you can't get it, try again later.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 01:34:34 AM by Brassfire »

Uhfgood

• Regular poster
  • No pain, no game!
    • View Profile
    • Indie Flux
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 08:44:45 AM »

Not bad :-)  Although i'm not really a music critic.  I think you need the harp sounds be a bit louder, and possibly the other instruments a bit softer.

Reminds me a bit of a crowded marketplace.

Keith
--------------------------------------------
Keith Weatherby II
uhfgood -AT- frontier -DOT- com
Games Afoot Software
Indie Flux - Previews, Reviews, News and more!
--------------------------------------------

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2003, 09:43:18 AM »

I'm not an expert neither, but I like it. It's very... medieval :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2003, 11:37:24 PM »

Thanks, guys.

Yes, the melody is very medieval and catchy, and will be worth further development in terms of sample quality and volume level. I'm trying to get some art done over the next month, but I'll post a more final version of this piece in a month or so. :)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 09:08:24 PM »

hi,

nice to meet some people making music for adventures. i just downloaded your work and i like that combination of the harp and the warm sound of the drums/toms.  :D

i listened to that one "sharp" rhythm sound of - hm - don't know, could be a hit on a closed hi-hat or something similar, my english is too poor  :-\ to describe it better: it's not really too loud, but I guess if I had to hear that sample for about 30 minutes (because i'm too stupid for some good puzzle of yours), it would become too loud in my head. maybe i would try to "soften" that sound.

just my impression, don't mind too much.  ;) looking forward for the final version!

jerrot.
Mooh!

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2003, 08:33:06 AM »

Hi, Jerrot.

I know a ton of people who love composing music for adventures, so if anyone needs composition, just ask. Even if I'm too busy to help you out, I can recommend others.

The bells/shaker could use some work too... if that's what you're referring to. The volume of everything needs work, really.

The idea of the format is really good, but the instrument handling really needs to be updated. I am getting totally frustrated with trying to get good sound out of this thing...
Hmm, maybe Mnemonic is right not to add mod support. :-\

In FruityLoops, it is so much easier to use samples, and the new version has a plugin that handles soundfonts! Me happy!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have to try it out, which means I'll probably be using Fruity for my game music... Which means it'll have to be audio in ogg format, rather than tracker notation in *.itz format. Which means I'll lose the ease of making long and interactive music. :'(

But it will sound pro, and that's a good thing.
Ahhh, choices, choices. :P

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2003, 10:16:48 AM »

hi brassfire,

I know a ton of people who love composing music for adventures, so if anyone needs composition, just ask. Even if I'm too busy to help you out, I can recommend others.

thanks, i will keep that in mind, guess some people would be very happy... !

The bells/shaker could use some work too... if that's what you're referring to. The volume of everything needs work, really.

shaker, yes, i didn't find the word (or was not sure, thinking of cocktails and... ;) ).

The idea of the format is really good, but the instrument handling really needs to be updated. I am getting totally frustrated with trying to get good sound out of this thing...
Hmm, maybe Mnemonic is right not to add mod support. :-\

hm, i always loved mods, although i stopped working with trackers years ago, just not flexible enough for my purposes - and too less time for making music - although i guess that's great (compared to midi) for adventure games.

In FruityLoops, it is so much easier to use samples, and the new version has a plugin that handles soundfonts! Me happy!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

hm, i thought about using FruityLoops as VSTi, but on my birthday the HALion sampler arrived, so i had the functions i needed from FruityLoops and did not even download the demo version anymore, is FruityLoops okay ? can you compare it to cakewalk ?

Ahhh, choices, choices. :P

yeah, isn't it great to have them ?  ;)

Mooh!

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003, 01:37:46 PM »

Fruity isn't as easy to make melodies with, for me anyway. It's definitely the best beat maker. I've had people compliment me on my drum playing! :D

I moved this harp piece from ModPro Tracker to Cakewalk and arranged a couple of things differently... so there is a new version with soundfonts posted at the site. It's just a small test, not the whole thing, but let me know what you think.

I'm also just finishing up my first CD, which will be available from CDBaby in June.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2003, 10:37:30 AM »

Fruity isn't as easy to make melodies with, for me anyway. It's definitely the best beat maker. I've had people compliment me on my drum playing! :D

Good to know. I'm trying this with soundfonts or the HALion sampler, but it's a boring and time expensive work...

I moved this harp piece from ModPro Tracker to Cakewalk and arranged a couple of things differently... so there is a new version with soundfonts posted

Yes, it sounds much clearer now. Very nice, very warm and that flute fits well, good work! Although... somehow I miss that shaker now. :)

I'm also just finishing up my first CD, which will be available from CDBaby in June.

:o Give us more info about that!
Mooh!

Brassfire

• Occasional poster
    • View Profile
    • The Unknown Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2003, 07:19:46 AM »

Yes, it sounds much clearer now. Very nice, very warm and that flute fits well, good work! Although... somehow I miss that shaker now. :)

Thanks!
Yeah, I couldn't find that shaker sample after the reinstall... I've found it now though, so the full version will see the return of the shaker. At a lower volume, hehe.

:o Give us more info about that!

Oooh, good idea.

If anyone wants to order one in the next couple of months, please let me know, either by PM or by sending an email to brassfire AT hero6.com

If you can let me know before this wednesday, I'll know how many copies to send them.

It's world music, some pieces similar to this harp piece but finished, and some songs - with my singing! (That's worth it in itself, or so I'm told. 8) ) 10 pieces in total, $12.95 US plus shipping.

1. Stillness Within - Live panflute and windchimes
2. Lament for Flute (download at hero6.com for more of my style)
3. Undersea Quiet (new age-ish, very peaceful)
4. Skylark (song)
5. Midwives (trad tune, arranged)
6. Seal Woman (song)
7. Abundant Harvest (amazing piece that no-one believes was midi and fruity! ;D )
8. Life Lives On (chant song)
9. ANRUKIMLO (another amazing piece)
10. Joy of Angels (merry toe-tapper on flute)

There will be a site up very soon at http://worlds.serpentgoddess.org (the dns hasn't resolved for me yet so I can't finish it yet, you can see the photo/art at the front page though if your dns is faster than mine, but please don't enter the rest of the site because it's unfinished and uglieee.) and there will be music samples at CDBaby.com once the CDs arrive there.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.