Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: physics: just a thought...  (Read 2724 times)

MrBehemoth

• Lurker
    • View Profile
physics: just a thought...
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »

Hi folks. Just wanted to run something by you all - just an idea I've been thinking about. I've not done any real research or tried anything out yet... I might just be dreaming...

I've mentioned on other threads that I've used Flash a lot in the past. Something I've enjoyed is playing about with is 2D physics, for example these 2 flash toys: Capering Calavera and Shmetris (Use the mouse to interact in both. Mnemonic and anyone else who worked on Wilma Tetris might appreciate Shmetris!)

Anyway... these were made using Box2dFlashAS3 a Flash/AS3 port of the excellent Box2d rigid body physic engine, which is written in C++ and available on the zlib licence, although I've only ever used the Flash port myself.

Now I'll admit that I don't know much about dlls or writing plugins for WME (that is, I don't know anything) but I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on how easy/difficult it would be to create a 2D physics plug-in for WME, maybe using Box2D...?

Implementation aside, if such a thing was possible, I imagine that how it would work would be that if you wanted some entities to be physics enabled in your scene, then Box2D would be simulating it in the background and your entity would query the plugin for the x and y of the body it is representing and update it's position in the scene / it's position on the screen. Obvious this would only work in scenes/games that are truly 2D, i.e., no perspective.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it worth investigating? Mnemonic, do you see any potential issues?

Thanks for ideas, input, etc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.