Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Fred English Public PreAlpha ready!!  (Read 26366 times)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re:Fred English Public PreAlpha ready!! (II)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 08:20:16 AM »

Global music and Music volume?? As far as I know, the only volume controls that the menu has is Global volume (Game.SetGlobalMasterVolume), Music Volume (Game.SetGlobalMusicVolume) Effects Volume (Game.SetGlobalSFXVolume) and the unavailable Speech Volume, and that's all!

Oops... sorry, my mistake! Anyway, I still don't believe that you really need the GlobalMasterVolume...

No, it's not a bug! In fact, it's a feature I added. It's useful to have the possibility of skipping cinematic scenes, don't you think?  

I just thought that it was a bug because I didn't find it documented nowhere. It's good to have the possibility to skip some cinematics but I don't believe that F1 is the best solution!  Make this ESC. (I know that esc works too, but it opens the menu too, disable this maybe - hm... it seems that I suggest to you everything I have done in "dreams" :))
fl*p

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 10:28:01 AM »

Anyway, I still don't believe that you really need the GlobalMasterVolume...

Well... I think it's useful for keeping the volume low, and still be able of hearing the sounds over the music and vice-versa... Anyway, I like Options! Options! OPTIONS!!!!  ;D

It's good to have the possibility to skip some cinematics but I don't believe that F1 is the best solution!  Make this ESC. (I know that esc works too, but it opens the menu too, disable this maybe)

hehe, this happends because the only thing I made was adding the ESC key to the open menu code in game.script, and modifiying it a bit for the cinematic skip feature. I'll make two independent if's, one for the esc, and one for the F1, to solve it.

(I know that esc works too, but it opens the menu too, disable this maybe - hm... it seems that I suggest to you everything I have done in "dreams" :))

That's why i'm taking note of all of them  ;)

Click here to sign my sig!

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
Fixed PreAlpha Uploaded
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2003, 05:10:05 PM »

AllRight, I've uploaded again the prealpha, but now with the new event-based code, so there's (theorycally...) no slowdowns (or at least, less slowdowns...) Please, someone, download the PreAlpha and gimme feedback... over all, notice the FPS when the right-hold menu is up (no time for coding the button choose...) and when the inventory is up... thanx!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2003, 06:15:46 PM »

Normal: 345 FPS
Menu: 330 FPS
Inventory: 249 FPS

This is for windowed mode.

It runs at steady 85 FPS when running fullscreen (vsync enabled).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2003, 07:51:44 PM »

Great!! Thanx Jan for testing it!

Inventory: 249 FPS

Mhhh....  ::) Nice weather don't you think??  ;D ;D

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2003, 08:48:17 PM »

Nah, it's too hot for my taste... :P
IMHO 249 FPS is more than you'll ever need :)
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2003, 10:44:03 PM »

Tested on the old computer (the one with i810 chipset). I will test it on my computer too when I get home (in 1,2 or 3 days... yeah! I am at my girlfriends home now, so no reason to leave soon - if you know what I mean :) )

Normal:37fps (drops down to 7 when starting to walk but that's because of the lousy 3d chipset)

Actions Menu:the same, no slowdowns, great work!

Inventory:26fps (the "framedrops" are not really important for the inventory, but why not have it working with no slowdowns since you can? just increase the sleep value in the inventory.script -that I know that you use :) - a little)

Animated cursor:37, no slowdowns (it's solved 100% :))

Oh.... and there is a little bug in this version. When I pick up the bag it has inside ALL the game's items (even the wme book from the wme_demo project! haven't you deleted it yet from the project?). So no need to pick anything... just unlock the door with the keys! :)

Nah, it's too hot for my taste...

The temperature in greece is above 30-35C now. A week ago it was at 40-43C for 4 days. THAT'S what I call HOT!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 10:45:42 PM by odnorf »
fl*p

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2003, 01:34:52 AM »

Oh.... and there is a little bug in this version. When I pick up the bag it has inside ALL the game's items (even the wme book from the wme_demo project! haven't you deleted it yet from the project?). So no need to pick anything... just unlock the door with the keys!

WHOOOOOOOPS!!! oh no... not another 14 meg upload for that crap... (I must upload the spanish & english version...  :'()

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2003, 07:42:15 AM »

Inventory:26fps (the "framedrops" are not really important for the inventory, but why not have it working with no slowdowns since you can? just increase the sleep value in the inventory.script -that I know that you use :) - a little)

This inventory script is used to determine the mouse cursor is outside the inventory window, right?

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2003, 10:16:53 AM »

This inventory script is used to determine the mouse cursor is outside the inventory window, right?

AFAIK when the cursor is on/over the inventory it checks when the mouse goes outside of it, and closes it. So no need for a small sleep value here.

McCoy, before you upload the new alpha versions, check if you can make the inventory to pause the game when is active. (As I have suggested before... :) And ofcourse if you thing that this should be done.)
fl*p

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2003, 10:45:16 AM »

BTW, the inventory script is not a loop, thus it does not have a sleep time. Here's the code:
Code: [Select]
on "MouseLeave"
{
   var ActObj = Game.ActiveObject;   
   if (ActObj.Type != "item")
   {
       phantom.Reset();//this entity handles the text when you look a object and all that.
       Game.InventoryVisible = false;
        }
}

That's all. So I think that the slowdown is caused because de polycount increase... I can't think in anything else...

McCoy, before you upload the new alpha versions, check if you can make the inventory to pause the game when is active. (As I have suggested before...  And ofcourse if you thing that this should be done.)

Well, I made TRUE the EXCLUSIVE property in the inventory definition... I noticed no change, so I don't know it's purpose (Mnemonic...?). Then I loaded the inventory window in systemexclusive mode... and it messed it all. First, it paused the music, and I want the scene music in the inventory too... second, the right-hold menu, the wincaption, and anything that is not located in the inventory.script does not work, because it's in systemexclusive. Thirth, when you hide the inventory window, the game keeps paused, because it's only hidden, not unloaded. So I think that the inventory is good the way it's now ;)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2003, 11:20:26 AM »

That's all. So I think that the slowdown is caused because de polycount increase... I can't think in anything else...

Hm... that's strange. I just checked the polycount increase and it's not important (about +50) and it's the same as the polycount increase when the actions-menu is up, which has NO slowdowns. ??? Anyway, it's not really important. Who cares if the game looses 30% of its fps when the inventory is visible? (Oh... and the game has the SAME slowdowns when the gamemenus are enabled, but the polycount increase in this case is 1300+)

So I think that the inventory is good the way it's now ;)

The only problem that I can think of is in cases that you want to do something fast or stop the currently enabled actions (talking, walking, etc) for any other reason. But ofcourse this is not really a problem if you don't plan to have time-limited puzzles in the game.

I really would like to learn what the exclusive property is about thought. :)
fl*p

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2003, 11:55:53 AM »

Yeah, it's pretty strange, I don't know why it slowdowns when there's no new loop...

The only problem that I can think of is in cases that you want to do something fast or stop the currently enabled actions (talking, walking, etc) for any other reason. But ofcourse this is not really a problem if you don't plan to have time-limited puzzles in the game.

Well, just adding a actor.reset(); when the inventory opens you can stop the actor completely.
And... hey, the non-stop inventory can be seen as an added task for increasing the difficulty in a time-limited puzzle, don't you think?  ;D

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2003, 11:56:45 AM »

I really would like to learn what the exclusive property is about thought. :)
It means that the inventory closes automatically when you click outside it. Nothing more, nothing less...

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2003, 12:04:13 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty strange, I don't know why it slowdowns when there's no new loop...

Nevermind... it's not real problem. But I'll take a look at it when you release the sources to "fred aplha" because I am a very curious guy. :) (ofcourse it would be difficult to read the spanish comments, but I'll do my best even without them)

And... hey, the non-stop inventory can be seen as an added task for increasing the difficulty in a time-limited puzzle, don't you think?  ;D

In this case the puzzles are going to be unsolvable-unless-you-are-as-fast-as-the-speed-of-light  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2003, 12:04:45 PM by odnorf »
fl*p
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.