Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Scaling problems with 3d Scenes  (Read 3475 times)

Lazarus12

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Scaling problems with 3d Scenes
« on: September 25, 2005, 07:34:27 PM »

Ok, I made a new scene in 3d demo project just for testing and imported my hidden scene geometry.
At first I couldn't see scene geometry at all but when I ran the game polygon count displayed extra number of that
geometry. So I thought it has to do something with scale and I was right. I rescale my 3ds file to match actor (trinity)
and it works well.

My question is is there some global variable in which I must enter scale factor of my scene geometry or I have
to do my modeling to match predefined settings?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: Scaling problems with 3d Scenes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 08:34:29 AM »

No, you can't change the scale of the geometry, because the scale shouldn't really matter as long as the camera is set correctly. You may want to use the "FOV override" function if your geometry isn't displayed as intended in SceneEdit.
On the other hand, you can change the scale of your 3D actors to match the geometry.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Lazarus12

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 07:41:13 PM »

No, you can't change the scale of the geometry, because the scale shouldn't really matter as long as the camera is set correctly.

But I think it does matter because when I first imported geometry in WME I could only see tiny boxes of it and changing the FOV
didn't help, I rescale it 200%  in my 3D  software and imported it back and it showed in scene edit, and I didn't even
need to override FOV then.
I'm using real world measures ( 3 meters for hight of a room, and 2 meters characters ) and that measure doesn't work in WME
so that's why I rescale it.

Do I have to do my modeling with bigger measures then?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 05:03:52 PM »

I still believe the geometry scale doesn't matter as long as the camera is set correctly. If your geometry is small, the camera will need to be closer and vice versa. Just like in your 3D program.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 06:04:43 PM »

Well, it doesn't matter in a sense of proportions, but I recall, that sometimes HG is constructed so that it exceeds some resolution possibilities of WME. (Either too small or too large). So basically you should take the whole geometry and make a scale (up/down) of the whole, which should do a trick.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Lazarus12

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 09:20:59 PM »

Mnemonic,
I compared my  geometry with 3ds file in your 3d demo and my was  way too small,
so I think that was the problem.

Well, it doesn't matter in a sense of proportions, but I recall, that sometimes HG is constructed so that it exceeds some resolution possibilities of WME. (Either too small or too large). So basically you should take the whole geometry and make a scale (up/down) of the whole, which should do a trick.

Yes, it works. I will just check my scenes to match the one in WME's 3d Demo.

Guess I'm the only one with this problem :(

Thanks for your help

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.