Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: Does transparent video exist? Anybody know how to do it in WME?  (Read 2898 times)

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'

Hi all,

Lots of forum searches later, still no closer to the definitive answer - does transparent video exist, or do all videos have to be square or fullscreen?

Imagine an irregular changing shape on a static background. I get the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that I put the background into the AlphaImage parameter of the PlayTheora command, but that then implies that the foreground file must be transparent. If that is so, can anybody please point me at an instruction for creating clean transparent, no-pink-round-the-edges video? (Sprites are not an option - in practice, they take too long to load, as does the built-in emitter).

Part of the problem here is that I've no idea what I'm talking about :-[. Please take that into account when you reply.

Thanks

\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
Re: Does transparent video exist? Anybody know how to do it in WME?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »

ok, I'm currently using tons of videos so I might answer you:

First of all, the question is - how you define transparent. If you want some sort of dynamical transparency (i.e. bluescreen simulation) it's a no-go in WME.

If on the other hand you want to shape your video using a static transparent mask, it's quite easy.

Code: WME Script
  1. this.PlayTheora("spaceport_3\monitor_1_final.ogg",true,"spaceport_3\monitor_1_videooverlay.png");

The png in question actually contains only alpha information and it shapes the video nicely (all transparent pixels would prevent video pixels from appearing while the opaque make them visible). Also note, that you can make semitransparent videos (using different alpha value than 0 or 100) or their combination. The important thing though is that it's a static mask and it will be the same for all video file.

Hope this helps.
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 01:11:33 PM »

So, videos are NOT transparent then. Can't be done. No such thing. That's definitive, thanks.

BUT - I see in 'The Lost Crown' never-ending smoke coming from the train's smokestack with no loop reset. In theory you could do that by running two semi-transparent smoke plumes out of phase on top of one another. Any idea how they do it in TLC?

Have you solved the permanent no-loop movement thing by any chance? We tried to use the Wintermute emitter, but it took half a minute to load the scene, whereas in TLC the load is instantaneous. It must be possible. But how?

\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

metamorphium

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Vampires!
    • View Profile
    • CBE  software s.r.o.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 01:35:05 PM »

afaik they indeed used particle emitters. There's something wrong with a way you use them if your scene load takes 30 seconds. :)
J.U.L.I.A. Enhanced Edition, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.