Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: How to initialize a game  (Read 2893 times)

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
How to initialize a game
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »

Hi all

The game is completed, the credits have run. The game loops round to its intro again. Game.Reset is used to initialize the game.

But we find that now, none of the items we pick up go to inventory. Nothing's changed. The code's the same. Why won't the game run from the start properly after it has been reset?

What have I missed?

Thanks

\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
Re: How to initialize a game
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:05:54 PM »

As a rider to this - I found in the documentation to Game.Reset this only:

"Resets the game's persistent data."

Anybody offer an explanation for this? What does 'Reset' mean exactly? Can anybody offer, what is defined as 'persistent' and presumably whatever is 'non-persistent'?

I'm not a programmer by profession, so if these are programmer jargon, forgive me for not knowing them.

Thanks
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »

Upon reset, the game reloads the basic items file (the one you assign in ProjectMan). If you're doing some other trickery with inventory items, such as loading multiple items files, you'll need to do it after reset.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:40:24 PM »

No, nothing like. There is items.items, that's it  On completion of use, all 190-odd of them are Game.DeleteItem. But after Game.Reset, although they go through the motions of going to inventory, they do not appear in inventory.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:44:49 PM »

Could it be the inventory scroll offset? Try setting Game.InventoryScrollOffset to zero before resetting the game.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.