Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Author Topic: Installation problems on creating a game for Vista  (Read 4353 times)

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
Installation problems on creating a game for Vista
« on: September 04, 2008, 10:17:32 AM »

Hi all

Does anybody know how to split up the game installation file in Nullsoft, e.g. by putting game.exe and settings.exe into setup.exe and data.dcp into some separate file?

The reason I need this is that apparently, Vista attempts to load the whole setup.exe file before executing - in our case over a Gb - which leaves the user wondering what the computer is doing while it sits there for ten minutes apparently doing nothing - until the user, in frustration, clicks again and starts the whole process again.

So a smaller setup.exe file is needed for Vista.

Thanks
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Installation problems on creating a game for Vista
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »

Last time I used NSIS it didn't have this ability. But a long time has passed since then. If you don't get an answer here, the best option would be to post at NSIS forums. Alternatively, inno setup can split the installer.
fl*p

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:40:10 AM »

Alternatively, inno setup can split the installer.

Yes I tried Inno Setup, just using the wizard - seemed straightforward enough, but produced an installation file that didn't work, so I ditched it.

I was hoping perhaps somebody here might have sample inno scripts, because Wintermute installs have so much in common. Haven't found anything though, so when I tried nullsoft with a front end and it worked, thought that would be the end of it - but I reckoned without Vista  >:(

Cheers
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 03:45:33 PM »

As far as I know, the wizard-generated InnoSetup script does everything you need. The only thing that needs to be added is working dir to all the shortcuts (WorkingDir: "{app}"). Otherwise you'd have to specify what "doesn't work" means (I so hate this phrase...).
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:03:59 PM »

I don't have a Wintermute Game installer script, but using InnoSetup, you can easily get a little setup.exe and your data as setup-1.bin (and setup-2.bin, etc. if needed) by using:

Code: [Select]
DiskSpanning=true
DiskSliceSize=734003200

which Vista loves. I ran into the same trouble some months ago and this way it works like a charm.

PS: I can only recommend to use ISTool as Gui for InnoSetup for many more settings.
Mooh!

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 01:44:02 PM »

Mnemonic wrote:
Otherwise you'd have to specify what "doesn't work" means

Empirically, was supposed and expected to install game - didn't. Sorry for the imprecision.

I've since found out that while it appeared not to be working,  ::thumbdown Vista  ::thumbdown was probably trying to install the game, but as  ::thumbdown Vista ::thumbdown gives no feedback that it's actually doing something when you load a large executable, I can no longer say for sure that it wasn't working. It might have been. Who knows? Certainly not Microsoft  >:D

The suggestion of the front end for Inno is interesting, thanks I'll give that a try.

Spellbreaker

• Supporter
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Apeiron Studios
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »

I just can tell you that I am using Inno Setup for years now, for installing Visual Basic and C++ Software. It's the best thing you can get, it also now features a download option, so that you can publish a small installer which downloads only the content needed ( interesting for games in different languages for example ).

Its "best choice" :)

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.