Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Verb Bar  (Read 13993 times)

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
Verb Bar
« on: July 09, 2003, 04:32:31 PM »

Hi,

now here it is - the first public source code version of my verb bar demonstration.

http://wme.jerrot.de/verbbarwin_src.exe

If you don't trust "exe" files, (and in general you shouldn't!) you can also unpack it with 7-zip.

It's not commented yet and I won't find the time to insert them until I return from my holidays in about 2 weeks. Therefore I upload this version as a beta release for you to test and play around with it (if someone's interested!).

I just took and simplified the first scene from the WME demo project to play around with the features. So don't search the exit ;) but try to talk, use the things, try using two books in your inventory together, etc. ! Not many things changed since I published the package, but some bugs are fixed and the source code is at least much cleaner now, most verbbar functions have been outsourced to one included script now.

It's not designed to use as-it-is but it should give you an impression of how it could look and work like, the buttons are just graphics and the inventory is something LucasArts-like.

Oh, and you should work with the newest release ( >= 1.0.030 ) of WME.

The features:

• it's a verb bar (wow!)
  • mouse over caption / command display at the top of the verb bar
  • object / persons can have default verbs. the default verb is colored when the mouse is over an object with an default value
  • automatic "use"/"use with" = you can define, if your object can be used alone or only in connection with another object
  • changing background for dialogs
  • keyboard shortcuts

That's it for now. Feedback and Improvements are welcome, but please remember, that this is only a demonstration (which I even won't use for my own project...) and not a full-features plug-in with editor tools to add buttons etc. ;)

Jerrot.
Mooh!

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re:Verb Bar
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 08:12:08 PM »

Nice, very nice, Jerrot! Thanks for sharing with us.

Some improvements I can think of... the default verb might be stored as a custom property (similar to what McCoy uses in the Fred game). Also, some code repeats in all scripts (the RightClick, MouseEntry, MouseLeave handlers), those could be put to an include file. But that's just a detail.
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 08:20:30 PM »

YEAH! Good work Jerrot!

A REALLY small suggestion (just to remind you what I said to you over the msn). You should declare the shortcuts in the keys.inc file so that you don't have to use those strange numbers in game.script file. It would make this part of code more readable (is this a valid word?).
fl*p

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 09:24:46 AM »

Hey,

thanks for your comments!  :D

Some improvements I can think of... the default verb might be stored as a custom property (similar to what McCoy uses in the Fred game).

Yeah, that's a good idea, I had a look at McCoy's script last night and like that way. And I really like the idea of overriding the standard verbs with some custom verbs, using the custom properties ! Really smart. I'll include this fine idea in a following release (thank McCoy!).

Also, some code repeats in all scripts (the RightClick, MouseEntry, MouseLeave handlers), those could be put to an include file. But that's just a detail.

True... that's because I customized these events with the functions and default verbs when cleaning up the code finally, they were all different before.  ::)

You should declare the shortcuts in the keys.inc file so that you don't have to use those strange numbers in game.script file. It would make this part of code more readable (is this a valid word?).

Oh, well... that's right of course, I'll do so.  
I'm working with ASCII codes for about 20 years now (yes, that' really true. I'm f***ing old!) so they don't look strange to me , I didn't even look them up somewhere. But I'm crazy anyway.

(And yes, readable is acceptable  ;), we had a MSN discussion about these words before, remember ? )
Mooh!

McCoy

• The cocido eater
  • Frequent poster
  • Spurrrrrrring
    • View Profile
    • Spur Games
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 12:13:13 PM »

Hey Jerrot, it works great! I've tested it just a minute ago. But I haven't taken a look to the code, tough...  :-[

Yeah, that's a good idea, I had a look at McCoy's script last night and like that way. And I really like the idea of overriding the standard verbs with some custom verbs, using the custom properties ! Really smart. I'll include this fine idea in a following release (thank McCoy!).

;D ;D ;D

Click here to sign my sig!

creatorbri

• Occasional poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 12:48:46 AM »

Unfortunately, merely attempting to load the project in the Project Manager causes the entire ProjectMan to crash on my WinXP system.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 07:39:04 AM »

Mandatory question #1: are you using the latest WME version? Please download the update at http://www.dead-code.org/forum/index.php?board=8

(2Jerrot: I know what you're thinking now, I'm gonna do it ASAP ;))
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 09:56:02 AM »

Hi !

Unfortunately, merely attempting to load the project in the Project Manager causes the entire ProjectMan to crash on my WinXP system.

Yeah, as Mnemonic already mentioned - please make sure you installed the latest release/patch, this project is not compatible with WME versions below 1.0.030. It runs fine with XP.

(I tried to load this project into the old version and right - it crashes right after opening the verb bar project.)

(2Jerrot: I know what you're thinking now, I'm gonna do it ASAP ;))

I said nothing...  ;)
Mooh!

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.