Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: New User Intro to Community (Hi!)  (Read 7622 times)

RandomExile

• Lurker
  • ADHD's not a disorder, it's a tool
    • View Profile
New User Intro to Community (Hi!)
« on: October 18, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »

Greetings, all.

I've been lurking for a couple weeks and studying different adventure creation engines, reading the available tutorials. 

To use the works of others to help define myself, my greatest game influences are Monkey Island, Myst, Under a Killing Moon and Gateway.  My favorite authors are George R R Martin, Douglas Adams and Timothy Zahn.

Many of you have created work I respect greatly, certainly foremost in that list is Mnemonic.  Stucki, your art and use of the sky actor are brilliant.

For the foreseeable future, I won't have much to contribute to the community besides encouragement and feedback.  Step two will involve asking questions which I will endeavor keep intelligent, and eventually I hope to join you in providing a powerful story and sense of wonder and escapism.

So, "Hi!"

RE

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
Re: New User Intro to Community (Hi!)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »

Welcome to our community RandomExile.

I hope you'll find wme as useful and powerful as we do. Feel free to ask any question. Even "alien"  ::slug ones are accepted  ;D
fl*p

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 02:59:02 AM »

welcome.. great to see a new face
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Stucki

• Frequent poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Schach-Welten
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 08:25:10 AM »

welcome to the forum and many thanks for the compliments .... do you wanna join the project   ;)

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:03:34 PM »

Welcome!

It's often questions from new users that incite the most interesting discussions, so feel free to ask any questions you like (even if you don't really keep them intelligent :))

And Stucki, I do whole-heartedly join the compliments regarding that sky actor of yours! Great unorthodox thinking!

RandomExile

• Lurker
  • ADHD's not a disorder, it's a tool
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 06:41:47 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am, at present, dreadfully unskilled at WME but that'll get fixed shortly.   :)

My experience with game design is thus far limited to the Interactive Fiction language Inform, with which I've produced just a couple small scenarios.

Writing is my strongest skill--I work as a technical editor for a government client.  Yes, this means you're welcome to spot typos in my posts and I will, with compulsive mortification  :o , rush to edit them any time, day or night.   ;D  It also means I'd be delighted to proof dialogue and narrative for anyone who needs a going over.

I have experience writing short stories, poetry and technical documentation; developing characters, plot and settings; conducting link-diagram analysis and developing relationship matrices.

My goal is to develop a commercial game for which I have plot/setting/characters prepared, but as I learn, I'm very happy to contribute to other free or commercial projects as I'm able.

Stucki, others--please PM me for my e-mail address and I would be honored to lend what assistance I can.

The next few weeks for me will consist of following the tutorial through a simple scene, continuing to read the forum posts, and studying the scripting help file.

Cheers,

RE

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.