Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This forum provides RSS feed. To query recent posts use this url. More...

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: decoration regions with more than 1 color  (Read 18337 times)

Jeroen

• Occasional poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:decoration regions with more than 1 color
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2003, 08:46:12 AM »

I have to agree with Jerrot here. The concept and big advantage of SceneEdit is that a lot of actions can be performed real time: placing the actor, looking at the animations in the scene, scaling/rotating, z-order, even the sounds work there already, etc.
A lightmap layer would break this concept a bit and cost memory (perhaps not much but still) - I prefer the linear/radial idea. Yes, this could be difficult to do...I think it's up to Jan to measure the pros and cons :)

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2003, 09:53:05 AM »

I have to agree with Jerrot here. The concept and big advantage of SceneEdit is that a lot of actions can be performed real time: placing the actor, looking at the animations in the scene, scaling/rotating, z-order, even the sounds work there already, etc.
A lightmap layer would break this concept a bit and cost memory (perhaps not much but still) - I prefer the linear/radial idea. Yes, this could be difficult to do...I think it's up to Jan to measure the pros and cons :)

I lost you here. Can't we have both two methods and choose the best in a case by case matter (this sentence reminds me of something... I can't remember :) ). What would a new method could harm? And why a lightmap layer can't be shown in the preview panel at real-time when we place an actor, like with the decoration regions?

PS. I am following "our still unamed project joe" since the beginning. I am one of the oldest and biggest fans. Keep up the good work. :)
fl*p

Jeroen

• Occasional poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2003, 10:34:52 AM »

lost you here. Can't we have both two methods and choose the best in a case by case matter (this sentence reminds me of something... I can't remember  ). What would a new method could harm? And why a lightmap layer can't be shown in the preview panel at real-time when we place an actor, like with the decoration regions?

Let me be a bit more clear :) Adding a method doesn't hurt indeed, that I agree on. With the real-time thingie I was referring to: real time editing. With the radial and linear stuff I can imagine the user being able to select two colors, being able to move the centre point with radial gradients and so on. The whole thing happens in SceneEdit. Now the layer would mean I have to switch to Photoshop or something and adjust the layer until it's okay in SceneEdit. Okay, it's not THAT bad, it's merely that I prefer the radial/linear thing.

PS. I am following "our still unamed project joe" since the beginning. I am one of the oldest and biggest fans. Keep up the good work.  

Thanks :) Always good to hear :) Thanks to WME this project is alive and kicking! (euh and because o all the other teammembers ofcourse!) Where can I find of your work btw?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2003, 10:35:42 AM »

Can't we have both two methods and choose the best in a case by case matter
Agreed. The best way will be to have both ways :)
I'm still not sure how to define the gradient decoration regions. They will have two colors, that's for sure. For radial ones, there must be a center point and a radius. For linear ones, there must be... what? Two points, and a direction? I'll limit the direction to straight lines (i.e. 0 degrees or 90 degrees).
Should be enough, nah?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2003, 10:36:03 AM »

(damn, I'm late again! :))
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2003, 10:46:19 AM »

Let me be a bit more clear :) Adding a method doesn't hurt indeed, that I agree on. With the real-time thingie I was referring to: real time editing. With the radial and linear stuff I can imagine the user being able to select two colors, being able to move the centre point with radial gradients and so on. The whole thing happens in SceneEdit. Now the layer would mean I have to switch to Photoshop or something and adjust the layer until it's okay in SceneEdit. Okay, it's not THAT bad, it's merely that I prefer the radial/linear thing.

Oh...ok... I understood. I too prefer the radial/linear vector regions. But every new method is a good thing

Thanks :) Always good to hear :) Thanks to WME this project is alive and kicking! (euh and because o all the other teammembers ofcourse!) Where can I find of your work btw?

Well, there are 2 screenshots in the "anouncement forum". just check the one post there that is started by me. The first demo (with about 20-25 backgrounds and a few VERY simple puzzles) will be ready in 2 weeks from now.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 10:48:15 AM by odnorf »
fl*p

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2003, 10:59:16 AM »

For linear ones, there must be... what? Two points, and a direction? I'll limit the direction to straight lines (i.e. 0 degrees or 90 degrees).
Should be enough, nah?

I am not sure I understood you. What I am thinking for the linear gradients. Is to just define the direction (by degrees as you said). And just place that gradient inside that vector region. That way you wouldn't need to care if the vector is a square, a cyrcle, etc. This is the way both Illustrator and CorelDraw work.

Two suggestuins for the second way (with bitmaps).
1)I think you could make the bitmaps stretchable, so that we could just create a gradient in photoshop and then stretch it as we like in real-time in the preview panel.
2) You can make the vector regions to contain bitmaps. This way the vector region should work like a mask for the bitmap. So we can limit the bitmap in the regions we like in real-time again.
fl*p

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2003, 11:00:15 AM »

(damn, I'm late again! :))

(ok...ok... I was kidding when I said to you to "slow down". :))
fl*p

Jeroen

• Occasional poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2003, 12:29:37 PM »

Hmmm....okay I officially agree with everyone's last post now.

;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 02:51:56 PM by Jeroen »

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2003, 12:37:18 PM »

Hmmm....okay I officially agree with anyone's last post now.

;D

I didn't quite unterstand what you are saying here. Is it my poor english or the fact that I am drunk now? ;D
fl*p

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2003, 01:24:18 PM »

I am not sure I understood you. What I am thinking for the linear gradients. Is to just define the direction (by degrees as you said). And just place that gradient inside that vector region.
Yes, you are right, of course. The boundaries are given by the region's bounding box.

Jerrot

• Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2003, 09:55:12 AM »

Hmmm....okay I officially agree with anyone's last post now.

I didn't quite unterstand what you are saying here. Is it my poor english or the fact that I am drunk now? ;D

He supports everything that everybody wrote in his last post here. And yep, you were drunk! ;)
Mooh!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 23 queries.