Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

For WME related articles and tutorials visit WME Resource Center.

Author Topic: save/load window  (Read 6655 times)

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
save/load window
« on: April 28, 2004, 06:09:13 PM »

Out of sheer curiosity, what is the "save/load window" entry in the TODO list?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
Re: save/load window
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 06:23:30 PM »

Basically some customized screen to be displayed while loading/saving the game. It will be implemented as WME .windows that's why I named it "save/load window" in the Todo :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 06:26:20 PM by Mnemonic »
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 07:55:29 PM »

Oh, I see. Good idea.

Btw, did you give any thought to the about-to-be-saved game screenshot that was in discussion the other day? The TODO list seems very short after the last update and, as a considerate and thoughtful user, I feel responsible for filling it again ;D.

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 08:24:44 PM »

Heh :)
Well, for various reasons WME needs the images physically stored on disk, so IMHO the only way is to save the (scaled-down) screenshot to some temporary file and reference it from your window. I don't like it much, but it should be sufficient for the purposes you've mentioned. But as I said, taking the screenshot will take some time. You can test the performance using the Game.Screenshot() method.
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 09:31:19 PM »

for various reasons WME needs the images physically stored on disk
Is it a temporary limitation or is it going to stay like this? Because you're right, it's not the best way to do it. I tested the performance of Game.Screenshot(), btw, and it is pretty ok. It would have been a lot better if the screenshot wouldn't have to be stored to the disk, though.

Well, as always, it's up to you to decide if and how to do it. I can only give my advise and opinion, and as a whole, I believe that there shouldn't be *any* features (within reason, of course) that are absolutely impossible to implement using WME. I mean, it's one of the best adventure engines out there (if not the best), so why cripple it?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 07:29:42 AM »

Hm, yes, I think it's going to stay like this. I'll add a function for saving a scaled screenshot under a specified name and it will have to suffice. I agree the engine should provide as much freedom as possible, but this particular feature, in my very humple opinion, is not worth the effort it would take to change the sprite caching/save/load/whatever mechanisms.

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 06:28:42 AM »

this particular feature, in my very humple opinion, is not worth the effort it would take to change the sprite caching/save/load/whatever mechanisms.
Well, if it's a lot of work and it's for this feature only, you're probably right and it wouldn't be worth the effort, no argue there, especially if you're supplying an alternative way for implementing this feature.

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 24 queries.