Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest WME version: WME 1.9.1 (January 1st, 2010) - download

Author Topic: Suggestion: Slider Control  (Read 6833 times)

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Slider Control
« on: April 30, 2004, 09:37:09 PM »

I just finished coding a generic slider control (using McCoy's SFX volume slider as a reference - thanks McCoy!) and except a small bug that I still have to sort out and an extra feature I still want to add, it works fairly ok as horizontal or vertical and for controlling whatever values I need it to control. Nevertheless, unless there is a reason not to do it, I think it would be better if a slider control will be added to the controls list of WME since it's very common for many games to feature sliders in their options window. Just a suggestion, anyway ::).

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Slider Control
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 10:42:59 PM »

Mmmm... Did I do something wrong? Did I offend anyone?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 11:00:24 PM »

No offence taken, no offence intemded :-[
It's just that...it's easy to script a slider, so I don't take it as a high-priority task, ok?
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 12:02:35 AM »

I'm not sure if I should continue this thread but I'll do it all the same because I believe I'm helping you. :-\

Whenever I make a suggestion, it usually comes from putting myself first in the shoes of a simple user (that is not really into too much coding) and then into the shoes of the one making the engine itself.

While in the shoes of the simple user, I would definitely have wanted a built-in slider control. I spent a few hours coding my slider (and it's still not perfect) and I had a working reference and also my coding skills. A simple user may be in for some tough time with it and might not like it. Simple users seek engines like this one so that they could focus on scripting their game's scenes. They might not like it to have to script basic functionality like GUI controls.

While in the shoes of the one making the engine, I would have definitely add a slider control in my engine. Why you ask? Well, the answer is very simple, "because it should be there". I've seen a lot of GUI packages in my life and wherever there are statics, edits and buttons, there are also (if needed, of course) listboxes, comboboxes and sliders. I mean, why stop there? You could have left even the button out as well, if you gave the static control a "click" event. It's easy to script a button out of such a static, by utilizing the mouse up and mouse down events to switch images so that a "pressing" effect is created. It's *possible*, but you added the button anyway. Why? Because of the same reason, I think, "because it should be there".

To sum it up, I never said you should add a slider control today. I just said it will be good to add it *some* day. I just think that it's in the best interest of the engine to slowly perfect it, even with small features like this one. And once again my usual disclaimer, it's only *my* opinion.

Btw, I admit I got offended a little tiny bit... :-[ but I'll get over it. ;) I'm too damn touchy for a guy... :-[ When am I going to learn...?

Mnemonic

• WME developer
  • Administrator
  • Addicted to WME forum
    • View Profile
    • Dead:Code Site
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 07:44:00 AM »

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you feel offended (even if it's a little tiny bit), but as I said, it wasn't my intention to offend you in any way.

If it offends you that I didn't reply, ok then, I'm guilty. But just because I don't reply doesn't mean I'm not listening. The WME forum regulars know that I do, even if I'm not too happy about some of the suggestions sometimes (being a lazy programmer after all :)). In fact, the first thing I did on saturday morning was to turn on my computer and browse to this forum to read new threads. I replied to the "Constant Values" thread and went to have breakfast, cleaning the apartment etc. I didn't really know what to reply to this thread, other than the classical "ok adding it to TODO".

If you don't like it's a low priority task, well, that's the way it is. I have to prioritize the the tasks, because I cannot work on WME fulltime. And, naturally, things that can be done by scripting will always be lower priority than those that cannot. But I'm sure you understand that.

The truth is, I had the slider control on my ToDo list, not the electronic one, but the physical-yellow-paper-type list. But then McCoy implemented a slider in a rather elegant way, so the internal slider went all the way down my priority list (in other words, it's McCoy's fault, blame him! ;D - just kidding).

Ugh, I have a feeling we are both spending too much time and energy on this thread, while we basically understand each other, so to make it short, I'm sorry for not being responsive enough.

"ok adding it to TODO" ;)
Yes, I do have a twitter account
Please don't send me technical questions in private messages, use the forum. ::wave

Daniel

• Regular poster
  • I'm *not* a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 09:27:51 PM »

as I said, it wasn't my intention to offend you in any way.
I know that :), as I said, I'm too touchy at times... :-[

If you don't like it's a low priority task, well, that's the way it is. I have to prioritize the the tasks, because I cannot work on WME fulltime. And, naturally, things that can be done by scripting will always be lower priority than those that cannot. But I'm sure you understand that.
Of course I understand that. I never thought it should be high priority, quite the contrary, as a matter of fact.

I have a feeling we are both spending too much time and energy on this thread, while we basically understand each other, so to make it short, I'm sorry for not being responsive enough.
I couldn't agree more. Let's agree this post is the last! Apology well accepted although really not needed.

"ok adding it to TODO" ;)
;D

Thanks for taking the time to explain things. Much appreciated.
Btw, I do plan to keep suggesting things, though (like it or not ;)), because I believe *any* one-man-free-time-job engine can go only so far without the input of its users, so I'm doing my part of the deal.

[End of Thread]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.