Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

IRC channel - server: waelisch.de  channel: #wme (read more)

Author Topic: 360 backgrounds?  (Read 5834 times)

Lohikaarme

• Lurker
    • View Profile
360 backgrounds?
« on: September 05, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »

Hi, first post here :)

So, I'm looking into making an adventure game, and WME seems very good.

I want to make a 1st person adventure and I was wondering, if it is possible to achieve a full 360 rotateable feel, like in Black Dahlia, or Atlantis, instead of static backgrounds.

I was thinking in the lines of having scenes with background images 2-3 times the screen width and 1.5-2 times the screen height, which will scroll depending on mouse movement or something like that.

Is this built in the engine?
If not, is there an easy way to do it?
Maybe have an invisible actor follow the mouse potition at a great speed if the mouse is not inside a center box and have the engine autoscroll to the actor?

Can I make the scene/background loop from left to right, but not from top to bottom so I can have a 360o infinite rotation?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been discussed before or is in the documantation, I searched a bit and didnt find anything, also I spent only a few hours reading the docs :)

Jyujinkai

• Global Moderator
  • Frequent poster
    • View Profile
    • Jyujinkai's WME Development Blog
Re: 360 backgrounds?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »

no sorry.... i am 96% sure this will be in wme2 (when it is done)... but there are other solutions... if i remember right http://pipmak.sourceforge.net/ is designed just for this. Though i am sure there are other options.
<Antoine de Saint-Exupéry> In any thing at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away...
<Carl Sagan> If you want to make a apple pie from scratch. You must first... invent the universe

Lohikaarme

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »

Damn, thanks for your time anyway :)

I checked pipmak, and although very nice, the lack of video and graphic editor (especially for hotspots and stuff) are pretty much a deal breaker.

I'll check to see if I find something else, though I'll probably end up using WME anyway, ripper-style isn't that different anyway :)

Btw, any time schedule for WME2? More than a year away?

odnorf

• w00t?
  • Global Moderator
  • Addicted to WME forum
  • Lamp dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 01:08:44 AM »

Btw, any time schedule for WME2? More than a year away?

Yes.  ::slug
fl*p

imagetag

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:32:15 AM »

Hi there,

you could try Adventuremaker (adventuremaker.com). There's a cubic panorama plugin, but afaik, you have to buy the commercial version in order to use plugins. But otoh it's quite simple to use. But to be true, I'd drop the 360 degree idea and use WM.

The Scratches developers made their engine public, too. But it comes without such a nice editor.

Best of luck
Peter

Weraustinne

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:13:03 AM »

To Lohikaarme -

You can try DAGE http://rahakasvi.hinguere.fi/Dage/docs/doku.php as well.
I never use it, but it looks cool,
If you are interested in creating "3D adventure" games, try this first http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=3824.0
You can try to deal with the creation of games.
It is not easy.
But if you got the enthusiasm, time and ideas, you can try to create your own game.
Good luck!  :)

Kaz

• Arberth Studios
  • Regular poster
  • The story is the game
    • View Profile
    • Info on 'Rhiannon' & 'Coven'
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »

We experimented with this for 'Coven'. It's not that straightforward. You would have to take your panoramic views from your 3D model. If you don't do it as video from a rotating camera, which you then similarly display as video, you end up with long shots of a panorama which you effectively then pan across, rather than viewing as a genuine rotation - so the player sees a kind of 'sidestep'. And of course the longer the shot, the lower the detail.

In 'Coven', we're going for a mix of video, alphablend and jumps for changescenes, because we decided that it's more about screen and gameplay design than it is about the engine. So each scene is designed on its needs.
\"Fans of popular horror adventures like Scratches and Barrow Hill should start bracing themselves for another haunting experience, as independent developer Arberth Studios has announced production on its debut title Rhiannon - Curse of the Four Branches.\" - AdventureGamers.com

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.